7. The Catalogue Outline

The catalogue outline is a detailed list organised in a specific way. It includes the necessary elements that will form your book:

· Subtitle

· Book cover size

· Target word count

· Core message

· Overview – challenge & solution

· Ideal reader

· Chapter title

· Key points to cover in each chapter

NAME YOUR BOOK

The title of your book needs to communicate what your book is about in an instant. The subtitle supports the title by providing additional information. You could also use the sub-title to reveal what makes it different from other books.

Together, they're like an elevator pitch for your book; one that connects with your ideal reader and makes them say "I need that!" Where possible, use words your readers will search for when looking for a book on that topic. It will make it easier to find and increase sales.

Be open and flexible with your title and sub-title; they may change and evolve as you write the book. If you don't yet have a book title, use a working title instead to make your files easier to identify.

WORD COUNT

As discussed in the previous chapter, the final word count impacts the cover size and the number of pages within your book. Having a target goal also helps to keep you motivated and is a way to track your progress.

Don't get too hung up on the word count. You'll find some chapters will go over, and others may be slightly under. In the end, your book will be the exact amount of words it needs to be to get your message across.

If you learn more about your topic, you can always publish a revised edition later on with the extra information.

MESSAGE AND OVERVIEW

Your core message is the number one problem your reader has your book solves. Everything in your book supports this message.

The overview of your book is a paragraph, 3-4 sentences, that describes the big picture of how your book plans to overcome the difficulty faced by your reader. It incorporates your hook, the thing that makes your book different from the rest and grabs your readers attention

For example, the book overview of Joanna Penn's The Success Author Mindset could be:

The Successful Author Mindset explores 25 myths, attitudes and beliefs aspiring authors may experience through all stages of the writing and publishing process. Many of which stop them from moving forward. Each chapter offers an actionable remedy to address the problem. It also proposes 9 principles to develop to become a successful author.

The overview for Written is:

CRAFTING YOUR CHAPTERS

When you're designing your chapters, it's important to keep your target audience in mind. This is your ideal reader, the person who will buy your book. It's hugely beneficial to create an avatar outlining who they are; their personality and characteristics.

To outline your chapter's start with the ideas you mapped out for your book. If you haven't already, group together any that have a similar or related theme. These will become your chapters with each idea and sub-idea being key points to include.