24. Belief Busters

Limiting beliefs are the negatives patterns at the heart of writer enemies that stop you from reaching your full potential – fear, overwhelm, and doubt. They were programmed unconsciously in childhood from the things you repeatedly observed and heard from birth to age seven or through a traumatic experience.

Not all beliefs are harmful; some save your life by preventing you from doing something dangerous or potentially life-threatening. For example, don't touch a hot stove or you'll get burnt.

The majority of the beliefs you have now are outdated having been passed down through generations and no longer serve you.

· Money doesn't grow on trees.

· You need to get good grades so you can get a safe and secure job.

· You have to work hard for money.

· You can't make a living from writing.

· Filthy rich.

· You have to get a steady job.

· Do what you love, and the money will follow.

Surprised about the last one? It's not enough to just love what you do; it takes effort to find a way to monetise it. You don't start automatically making money just because you're doing what you love.

For example, you might love going to the gym and working out. You could go to the gym every day and enjoy doing so, but it won't make you any money until you monetise it; like become an instructor, owner (or part-owner), or a personal trainer.

It's the same with writing and other creative arts. For decades the media has portrayed the image of the starving artist, struggling to make ends, when this is simply not true.

In his book Real Artists Don't Starve, Jeff Goins studies artists such as Michelangelo and provides evidence of how they earnt a respectable income. You can do the same, but only if you're willing to do the work and let go of your limiting beliefs.

SHIFTING YOUR BELIEF

There are many different ways to move a limiting belief. Sometimes pure awareness can be enough to shift a belief; shining a light on a thought or behaviour that doesn't make sense or fit modern society.

The best way to do this is to ask questions, pausing after each to allow the answers to come up:

· What's the belief stopping you from achieving your goal?

· Who does this belief belong to?

· When and where did this belief come from?

· What's causing you to act like this?

· How long have you had this belief?

Asking these questions may trigger a memory that can provide answers; mum or dad acting a certain way; a teacher dismissing your creative ability; jealousy from a friend or sibling over the attention you receive from your talent.

Rather than ignore it, acknowledge the belief created for trying to keep you safe; then let it go. You can either decide in your mind to let it go, say "(belief) I let you go," or cut the energetic cord and release it with love and light.

Cutting the energetic cord is done by raising your arm high above your opposite shoulder and making a sweeping downward motion moving across your body until the arm reaches the other side (the same side as the arm you're using). As you're doing this say or think "(belief), I release you with love and light."