1. Writing is Like Taking a Road Trip

You wouldn't just get in the car and start driving. You'd know where you were headed and have an idea of how to get there before you left. Right? Sure, you might not know the exact route to take, but you're still aware of which direction to go.

It's the same for writing your book. You don't just sit down and start writing. How will you know what to include or when it's done? You must plan ahead and guide your book in the right direction.

WHY ARE YOU WRITING YOUR BOOK?

Just like your road trip has a purpose – fun, sightseeing, to visit someone, to attend a conference, etc. so too does your book. What do you hope to achieve when your book is written and published?

The most common reasons to write a non-fiction book are:

1. Fame and fortune – To become rich and famous.

2. Increase Visibility and Exposure - List building, client attraction, selling products/services, etc.

3. Establishing authority and credibility – To open doors to new opportunities.

4. Leave a legacy – To pass on your knowledge or document your family's history and stories.

5. Passion project – Writing something purely for your own pleasure.

6. Bucket list – To achieve a lifetime goal.

7. Education and inspiration – To share information and knowledge to make a positive difference to those who read it.

There might be more than one purpose that resonates with you, but there will only be one main purpose.

Remember, the reason for writing a book is personal and yours alone. You don't need to share it with anyone. There's no judgment here. No purpose is any better or worse than another; they all fill a need and provide an outcome.

It's important, to be honest with yourself about the driving force behind your desire to write your book. It impacts how you write it and also what happens after it's written.

For example, do you need to publish more than one copy of your book? For some of the purposes, the answer is no. Is it a stand-alone or part of a series? Do you want to start or grow a business with your book?

If your purpose is business related, identifying your primary drive and will also help you decide how your book ties into your business. Can you use it to get speaking gigs or fill workshops? Can you leverage your book into creating other products or services, such as courses or coaching sessions?

Writing an overview can also clarify your idea. This is one paragraph about your book that describes the challenge and solution presented.

IDEA ROADBLOCKS

Sometimes on a road trip, roadblocks delay the journey. While they're frustrating and annoying, you deal with them because they're part of the experience. In writing, these roadblocks come from writer's block or a lack of ideas.

Writer's block stems from a lost connection with your book or the topic you're writing about. If you become disconnected, try experimenting with a different archetype to mix things up and approach it from a fresh angle.

If the disconnection is because the subject no longer inspires or interests you enough to continue, examine your reason for choosing it. Was it to fit into a best-selling category or something you have a passion for? It could be time to shelve it and find another more inspiring idea.