29. Action Step - Word Count Tracker

The word count tracker is best set up as a spreadsheet so you can calculate and track the goal and word count per chapter and section. You can also determine the difference between the two automatically.

The spreadsheet has the following components to make it easy to follow the progress of your book:

Section – These are the parts or sections your book is divided into. They're entered manually.

Chapter Number – These are the chapter numbers of your book. They're entered manually too.

Chapter Name – These are 1-2 keywords to identify your chapter. Yep, they're also entered manually.

Word Count – This the number of words you've actually written per chapter. It too is manually entered.

Goal – This is the target word count for each chapter. To save time, this can be filled in using the "Fill" function in Excel.

I like to add together the goal for each chapter within a section so I can see how the overall section total is travelling. You might not always reach the chapter target, but you could also go over. As long as the total section goal is met, your book will still be on track.

Difference – This is the variance between your word count and goal. It's calculated using the formula =(Goal cell number – Word Count cell number), e.g., =(E3-D3).

Each component can be adjusted to suit your book.

WORD TRACKER TEMPLATE

Below is a blank template for you to complete, and an example one.

EXAMPLE WORD TRACKER TEMPLATE

AUTHOR NOTES:

I'm looking for constructive comments and feedback to help make this chapter the best it can be:

- Does the chapter flow and make sense?

- Is there anything missing you feel should be added?

- Does anything need to be removed because it doesn't fit or is irrelevant?

- Is it easy to read and understand?

- What would make it better?

- What did you enjoy about it?

Copyright 2018 Leonie Hope. All rights reserved.