Chapter 16 | Reunion in a...Restroom?

I apologize in advance if there are any stupid typos in here. My little sister-a 2 and a half year old-kept bothering me while I was typing this up. Also, it's been one of those days when my hand decides to be in pain for no apparent reason. I guess I've been shot by an invisible bullet. *Sigh*

***

At first, I wanted to talk to Zahra over the phone, but then I decide against it. I want to confront her in person, so she won't lie to me again. I explain this to Harun and return his phone back. I turn around and take a shallow breath. "I don't know who I'm more mad at, Nick or Zahra."

"Don't focus on who you're mad at but keep your attention on the intentions behind their actions. I know Zahra. She's my cousin. She wouldn't do a foolish thing like that just for her pleasure. She must have a reason as to why she told Nick the truth. I don't know what it is, but there's a reason. As for Nick, I can't decipher why he'd do such a jerky move. But don't think this is all out of liking you. Isn't it suspicious that the girl walked in on you guys right at that moment?" he queries in deep thought.

I shrug lamely and find a chair to sit on. I put my head down and respond, "Well, she's like that. She appears magically at any moment." I think back to the time when Veronica, Bonnie, and I went to Sandy's Sundae's to find Nick there. Moments later, that evil witch showed up to join the show. "It gets annoying though. It's like she knows when something bad is happening to me, and poof, she's standing right next to me."

"She seems like a nuisance." I raise my eyebrow to let him know she's beyond the point of being a nuisance. "And anyways, why did you want my phone? What happened to the one I gave you a couple of days ago?"

"It's a long story. But to keep it brief, I just don't want to be tracked down." A questioning look dawns on his face but I ignore it. Instead, I change the subject by asking with uncertainty, "So, your mom wants you to get married?"

He's shocked by my abrupt question and is clearly bewildered. He nods his head, but then shakes it, as if confused. "Uh, kinda. But she wants me to finish studying business management and earn my degree Insha'Allah. That means I won't get married until I have an occupation. She just teases me about it sometimes since I have this friend..." He trails off. If he was a shade lighter, he might have been blushing by now. Instead, he shifts from to foot and looks at the floor nervously.

"A friend," I echo with amusement. "And who is this friend of yours?"

"She's a childhood friend. We haven't seen each other during high school since she was studying abroad in Spain, but she's back here to earn her degree as well. Her majors are philosophy, business, and political science, so we tend to be in the same seminars." He grins widely at me.

"Oohh, Harun is in love," I mock him teasingly. "Hey, let your friend know that I'll be the wedding planner. Ask her what types of flowers she prefers and what the theme of the wedding will be. Oh, and ask her abo-"

"I'm not in love!" he interrupts me with a glare.

I smile at him and shake my head. "Those who are in love often deny it. Okay, so it must be lust or infatuation, but you definitely like her." He just shakes his head while I continue rambling on. "So, she's studying to be a lawyer? I think those are the majors people take before they study law or something."

He nods his head, relieved that I stopped talking about his crush on this girl. "She's an undergrad, actually. I think she has two more years until she graduates and heads off to law school for a three-year period in the least."

"Masha'Allah," I mutter with respect for her. "Well, what's her name? I do have to know the bride's name so I can print it on the wedding invitations."