Chapter 11 | Tears, Hugs, and More Lies

Everyone completely forgot that I had something to say during dinner, which I'm relieved for. I'm always saying I'm ready but I'm not sure I am. I keep losing my courage which I'm not proud of. But I'm just...afraid. Afraid that things will backfire as badly as I imagine. My dream, er, nightmare, nearly came true and I'm afraid that other things, bad things, will happen. I just have the feeling that once I get back to school, I'll be leading a totally different and complex life.

But now, I just want to clear my head of all my worries, because the last day I'll see my friend for six months (more like two years in my perspective) is today. I bought her going-away presents which I think she'll really like. I clutch the bag which the presents are in tightly and let out a sigh as we near the airport. Zahra's family's car is ahead of us. Mom is driving Kara and I. Kara really wants to say goodbye to Zahra which I was okay with.

"Girls, we're here," Mom announces. I look up at the window and realize that she parked in the airport garage instead of the drop-off. We all get out of the car at once and I take the lead into the airport. Since Mom parked the car at ground level, there's no need to take the elevator or the escalator. We walk into the airport and I see lines and lines of people getting their baggage weighed, or their tickets printed.

I see Zahra and her family, who are waiting in line. She turns around and I wave at her and she waves back. After an agonizing thirty minutes waiting in a chair, Zahra finally makes her way towards us. I stand up and I give her a hug. "I can't believe this is it," I sniffle.

"Me neither," she whispers. "But six months can pass by in a breeze, right?" I nod reassuringly. "I see you got me a gift," she muses, looking down at my hand. I laugh at her bluntness.

"Yup. I think you'll love it," I affirm. I hand it to her and she takes it eagerly.

She rummages through it and laughs as she pulls out a tissue box. "You know me so well! I'll definitely need these," she says. She throws the tissues back in and pulls out a phone case that has a black Z on it with a purple background. The outline of the Z is studded with little white pearls. "This is wicked!" And lastly, she pulls out a photo album which contains most of the pictures of her and I. She flips through it and laughs at them. "Thank you Kayla," she says softly.

"No problem. I'm glad you love it," I gush.

"Hey, forgetting someone?" Kara snaps jokingly.

"Oh, how could I ever forget you? Come here," Zahra says, holding out her arms. My sister embraces her in a long hug and breaks away as Zahra's family comes.

"Hello, nice to meet you," my mother greets Zahra's parents. They return her greeting as Zubayr comes up to me and squeezes my legs.

I crouch down and smile. "Aww, someone here will miss me, won't he?" I tease. He nods his head and wipes tears from his eyes.

"Will you pwamise to visit?" he asks. I smile wider at how adorable he is.

"Of course! And let me tell you something." I drop my voice to a whisper. "Tell Zak that since you guys are moving, monsters will be under his bed."

He looks at me in awe. "You are so smart! Should I tell him now?"

I shake my head. "On the airplane when he falls asleep, okay?" He nods. I never thought that I'll conspire against a seven-year-old with a five-year-old. Oh, the odds.

Zahra's father briefly checks his watch and sighs. "I'm sorry but we better get going. Security takes quite a long time with the five of us," he announces.

We nod solemnly and I look back at Zubayr. "Have fun, okay?" He nods and once again he hugs me. I hug him back and shoo him off to his mother.

I hug Zahra and softly cry into her shoulder and she does the same. "Take care," she says. "I wish you the best."