Chapter 4 - What Are We?

He took me towards his car, and like a gentleman, he let me sit first and check if the dress was going to get stuck in the car and then we drove off.

I asked him: "Where are we going? Puchoge nahin maine yeh sab kahase sikha hai?"

I could sense him getting nervous, but at the same time, he was calm. Does it make sense?

He then stopped in front of his house, which was a rented apartment. We took the lift, and I felt that Aman was constantly looking at me. I tried to look away, but for some strange reason, I couldn't. He then took my hand.

We then reached the door of the apartment, and before Aman knocked on the door, his mum opened the door. His mother was a very beautiful woman.

"Hello Priya beti, kaisi ho?"

"Maa, kya Priya ke liye ek chaai bana paogi?"

"Sure. Agar mein thodi der mein banadu, toh koi problem nahin hoga na?"

"Of course not, maa."

I was shocked. How did she know that I was Priya? I never EVER met before that day. Aman was still holding my hand. He took me to his bedroom and made me sit down on the bed and he was kneeling in front of me, his hands touching mine as if they were merging in one another. Then he touched the wound and kissed it.

He then spoke: "I can't bear to see these hands be hurt. They should not be like this. Why did you beat up Karan, Priya? There was no need to do that. I would have done it myself if needed."

He was crying. I cleaned the tears he had in his beautiful eyes.

I then said: "Look Aman, I cannot bear the fact you are crying for me. It aches my heart. I can't see you cry. I know that you would have beaten up Karan if he touched me one more time. I saw that you wanted to attack him. But I told the people that you were talking to, that in case the situation worsens, no matter what, Aman should not attack Karan. Otherwise, you'll get hurt and I don't want that. Because I know that was one of the techniques I learnt while I was in Thailand for my martial arts. And about the people that you were talking to, they were my friends' boyfriends' brothers, right?"

Aman replied: "Another piece added to the puzzle. And by the way, how did you know that they are your friends' brother' boyfriends'? And martial arts, uh? That means you are really good at action."

"No. They were my friends' boyfriends' brothers. My friends showed me a picture of them before I met them. And regarding the martial arts, uncle and aunty Ji wanted me to pursue my passion. They took Nikhil with them and took care of him while I was away learning all the techniques. About action.....I have to be really good, otherwise, someone could kill me!"

"It's just the same. And for the action I am referring to....that doesn't kill you."

He smiled and winked at me, then got up to take the first aid and wrapped my hand, making sure that I wouldn't get hurt anymore. I was blushing and bit my lower lip. I then heard my phone ring, so I answered.

"Hello. Priya here."

"Are, duffor, tu kaha hai, re?" It was Anjali.

"Mein? Mein abhi Aman ke ghar mein hoon."

"Achcha. Yahan mein pagal ho rahi hoon kyun mein tujhe dhund nahin pari thi, aur tu wahan Aman ke saath hai. Maze le phir. Bye."

"Arre Anjali, Aman ne hi mujhe aapne ghar mein laya hai. Tu galat samajh rahi hai. Anjali... Anjali!!!"

She disconnected the call.

"Kya hua?" Aman asked.

"Anjali ne phone kiya tha. Usse lagta hai ke hum dono ke beech mein kuch hai. Ab who puri university ko boldegi. Yaar, kya musibat hai!!!"

"Toh ab kya karen?" Aman was looking naughtily.

"Filal mujhe dormitory mein jana hai. Anjali ko samjhana hai ke um dono ke bheech mein kuch nahin hai. Cappre badal kar sona hai. Bohot tired hoon aur bhook bhi lagi hai. By the way, don't get your hopes too high, Mr. Aman Mathur."

"Okay, fine." He was looking very upset when I said that.

"I told you that I don't like when you have a sad face. Oh, now I can't see your dimples either. Okay, maybe I have the solution for that." I hugged him really tight and I kissed on the right cheek. He was smiling like a cute and adorable baby.

"Bye, Aman."

"Bye Priya. Are, chai nahin piyogi?"

"Maybe next time. Bye. Good night."

"Good night Priya."

Later that night, I kept thinking about the relationship between Aman and me. It's definitely friendship, but sometimes it feels like it is more. Maybe love? Uff... I don't know. But there was something between Aman and me. Don't know what though. It's more friendship, but less than love. I suddenly remembered that there was some drawing on Aman's bedroom floor, which were kept hidden behind a dressing table. It seemed to be of a girl, now that I think of it. Okay, now I have to sleep. I am really tired.