Two Broken Pieces

It was a lake. A stagnant lake. A dead lake. The same lake.

I stood above the murky waters, staring down into the endless abyss of darkness with untamed fear and curiosity. But this time it wasn't her that I saw, no glimpse of her blood-red hair, no sign of her terrorizing smirk.

It wasn't a voluptuous demon that reflected in the water, but instead a divine angel.

He stared back with eyes that glowed like two beautiful lapis lazuli gems in the lake's grey water. I tilted my head curiously, watching the water ripple his image. I wanted to reach out and touch the illusion to see if it would blur, but I held my hand back. I couldn't impure his image, he was too heavenly to be deformed by a mere mortal like me.

I stand on the dock, feeling the silence of the place press stiffly against my ears. The lake was dead, the sky was dead, the trees were dead. The stars were reflected in the water, hanging limply, but the sky was an endless pitch black, an illusion.

I watch his reflection. The way his alabaster skin glowed in the water like the moonlight's reflection. The way his eyes pierced through the water. His lips, red as blood. He was angelic.

I gasp as I feel warm arms circle my waist. The warmness makes me think it's a human but a stranger, but when I felt the warm whisper of words near my ear, I couldn't help but relax.

"It's beautiful, don't you think?" I felt Dorian say as he rested his chin on my shoulder.

I smiled, this felt natural and warm. Why was I ever afraid of this place when with Dorian it looked like paradise?

"Is it?" I said airily, leaning back into his arms.

He chuckled into my hair.

"It is with you," He brushed his lips against my throat. I shivered in his arms.

I sighed in content.

"How did we get here?" I asked him as I watched the lake go on endlessly, only stopping when the other side hit the line of bare trees.

I feel him frown against my neck.

"Don't you remember?" He asked, tilting my head so I could look at him.

I furrow my eyebrows, trying to think of what happened before we got here. What did happen? Did we drive here? Or walk? How did we get here in the first place? I don't think there's a pathway to this place, I don't think this place is even in Forks, so what were Dorian and I doing here?

He tapped my chin gently.

"It doesn't matter, let's just enjoy the nature." I felt like I should point out that the nature here was dead, but when his lips pressed against mine, all thoughts flitted out of my head. I wrap my arms around his neck and stand on my toes so he doesn't have to bend down so much. Kissing him came naturally, the movement and feelings; they all came naturally, like I'd done this a thousand times. But I hadn't. So why did it all come to me like second nature?

He grinned against my lips and brought me closer, until our chests pressed together completely. I tangled my hands in his hair, molding my lips harder against his cold ones. I could feel my heart rushing in my ribcage, and when I pressed my hand against his chest, the strangest sound echoed against my fingertips, and bounced back against my chest.

It was bizarre.

It was a heartbeat.

I could feel his heart beating.