chapter 35.

.:Nico POV:.

I'm holding my breath as Will pulls my shirt over my head, exposing my bare, scarred chest and shoulders. I'm shaking and refusing to meet his eyes as he stares.

He reaches forward and gently brushes his fingers over one of the fresh red cuts along the side of my torso, making me squeeze my eyes shut to hold back the tears already threatening to escape.

"I'm-I'm so sorry, Will." I choke, gazing at my hands to avoid looking at him.

Suddenly, I see Will's tan hands take mine and lace our fingers together. "It's okay." He whispers and moves his hands to wrap his arms around my trembling body. After a moment, he asks, his voice nearly inaudible, "when's the last time you hurt yourself?"

"The day you left." I breathe out.

I can't see his face, but I feel Will's grip tighten around me and his breath catch in his throat. "It's okay, Nico. It's okay. And. . . I know you'll want to, but you don't have to promise to stop. Because, chances are, you might cut again, and then you'll feel bad for breaking that promise. Just, try, okay?" He pulls back to look at me.

I nod, then Will plants a kiss on my lips, but I promise to stop anyway--it's the least I can do for the boy who unbroke me.