chapter 17.

.:Nico POV:.

"I-I have to get that." I say, pushing away from Will.

I'm immeasurably flustered. Our faces were so close and I'm sure I could've just slid my nose beside his and--

No. I can't think like that.

Climbing out of the water and onto the dock, I dry my hands on somebody's shirt before picking up my phone and answering it. "Hello?"

"Nico?" It's Persephone, her voice high and frantic. "Nico, baby, is that you?"

My stomach ties into a knot so tight I'm afraid it might unravel my whole insides, she sounds so distressed. "Uh, yeah, why? What's wrong?"

"It-it's Hazel. She's in the hospital."

I feel my lungs closing off, constricting, and my heart fall like lead. "What h-happened?" I manage to choke out, voice breaking.

"I don't have time to explain. Just, come meet us?" Seph's crying now.

The phone slips through my hand as I'm a ghost and I stumble off, away from the lake.

I end up collapsing behind Will's truck, drawing my knees to my chest and hugging them tightly, for dear life. A sob rises in my throat and I give in, tears already flooding down my face. I can't breathe yet my heart rams against my ribcage so hard it cracks the bones. My body spirals away, losing control, losing everything all over again.

"Nico?--NICO!" Somebody staggers in front of me, cupping my face in their hands. I glimpse up at the person--it's Will, his shaggy, wet blonde hair plastered to his face. His ocean blue eyes are wide, concerned. "What happened?"

I squeeze my eyes shut, more tears threaten to spill from my eyes. Will gently brushes them away with his thumb. "H-Hazel." I whisper.

"Is she okay?"

I shake my head. "I can't lose her, Will. I can't lose Hazel. She's almost all have."

Will moves his hands away from my face and instead grasps both of my hands, squeezing them as he tangles our fingers together. The contact slows my racing heart, I take a deep breath.

"It's okay. You're okay. I'm here." He sits down beside me and pulls away his hands only to wrap his arms around me and take them again. I lean into him, the feel of his strong and steady body calming me down.

After several long, comfortable minutes pass, I pull away just enough to see his face. His eyes are closed. "Will?"

"Hmm?" They flicker open, revealing deep blue orbs.

"Why did you still stay with me, help me, when all I did was push you away?"

A small smile tugs at the corners of his mouth. "Because this."

And his lips crash into mine.