cнapтər ғoυr

Chapter Four
"I think you should meet him."

"What?" Ethan scoffed, rolling out from under his new sculpture. He was a mechanic, but in his free time he likes to make sculptures from junk metal. Mater usually finds his favorite pieces and gives them to Ethan. In return, Ethan gives him a few pieces of art.

"Let me rephrase that."

"No, I understood you," Ethan replied, confusion present on his face. He wiped off his tires, driving towards me. "I just don't get why. What would it help from me meeting Nick?" 

"Well, I just..." I stumbled trying to figure out my words. "Well, you acted like you supported my relationship. I thought I could gain some confidence by having my best friend meet him."

Ethan lightly chuckled, shaking his head. "Look, Stel. I support you and everything you do. Even when you fight with your parents and they're 100% correct," he began. "I just don't really like Nick. To be honest, I kinda hate him."

"What? Why?" I huffed, narrowing my eyes at him. Oh, I was starting to get pissed. He supports me but hates my relationship? How does that even work?

"I don't know, I just do." He shrugged, his brown eyes studying me.

"How can you hate him? You said yourself, you haven't even met him so you can't judge him." I argued, feeling my face heat in anger. Just when I thought things were starting to get back on track with Ethan, he throws this at me.

"Not going to lie, I hate basically any guy who tries to be more than a friend with you." He confessed, slightly nodding his head.

"Since when we were starting to be totally honest?"

"Since we become BFFs?" Ethan slightly laughed. I narrowed my eyes at him and tightened my jaw. Oh, he was really stepping over the line right now. He noticed and softened his face, driving closer to me. "Look, Stella. My hate for the guy has nothing to do with his actual personality. I just don't want to see you get hurt. It's my protective side."

I let out a low groan and rolled my eyes. This again. "I already have my dad freaking out about me being safe. I don't need you to watch my back, too." I snapped.

"Look, I'm sorry. I don't mean to make you mad. I just don't think I'm the right guy to meet your new boyfriend." Ethan explained, trying to calm me down, though it wasn't helping.

"E, I really need you right now. So could you just shut off your protective BFF side and try to judge Nick for what he's truly like? I mean, you're the first family member that's going to meet him." I huffed my blue eyes meeting his brown eyes.

"Stel, I want to help-"

"Then just judge him for what he does, how he acts," I exasperated. "Please, E. It's not like you'll be alone with the guy. I'll be there the whole time."

I could see Ethan's thoughts washing over his face. He really wanted to help, but he obviously couldn't decide whether it was worth it. I don't understand why though. He's my best friend and he's judged my other guy friends before. Why was Nick different? Why was Ethan acting so weird about it?

"Fine. But only because I'd hate to have Nick meet your father first." Ethan agreed, giving me a light smile.

"Thank you so much, Eth. Honestly, you're truly the best! I don't know what I'd do-" I rambled, my worries washing away from me.

"Yeah, yeah. Just pay for my drinks and we'll call it even." Ethan laughed.

xxx

"So, when is your boyfriend planning on showing up?" Ethan asked, swirling his drink as we waited in the restaurant.