ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ғᴏᴜʀᴛᴇᴇɴ

Chapter Fourteen
Time flew past as I watched the stands fill with fans and the rest of the competitors set up their pits. I was actually starting to get really anxious. This was a make it or break it moment. If Dad wins this race, it would be a huge lift off of my fenders, but if he loses... Well, I don't want to think about that.

"Hey, Stel." Ethan greeted, cautiously driving towards me. I glanced at the ground and gave him a soft smile. I was embarrassed about how I snapped him.

"Look, Ethan, I'm sorry," I replied, feeling my hood heat up. "It isn't fair for me to take my anger out on you and-"

"Stella," he cut off, smiling at me. "It's okay. You were taken into custody and it wasn't fair for me to assume you would just open up about it. It's my fault." He apologized.

I held out my tire to him, grinning into his big, brown eyes. "Truce?" I asked. He laughed, bumping his tire with mine.

"Truce." He agreed.

"That's my girl!" Dad shouted into the earpiece. I groaned, rolling my blue eyes as Ethan laughed beside me.

"Dad!" I whined.

"Forgot I could hear everything you say, didn't cha?" He fired back. I giggled, looking out onto the track.

"Focus on your race." I scolded, shaking my head at him. He laughed settling into his spot in last. It sucked that he didn't finish his season last year. Now he had to start all the way at the back. It was going to be a tough race.

Everyone got ready in the pits, doing their own jobs. We all had to be at our best to make sure Dad wins this race.

Everything revolves around this one race.

This one, itty-bitty race.

It wasn't fair.

"It's starting." Ethan said, pulling me from my thoughts. I looked back at the track, watching every racer get positioned for their best possible start.

Dad could do this.

He could handle anything.

The flag was waved and everyone took off. My heart was beating fast as I watched them drive in circles around us. I thought I was going to be dizzy. My thoughts were jumbling in my head and my stomach ached. Maybe I would actually pass out.

No. No passing out. I had to stay strong for Dad. If I passed out, he would end the race to make sure I was okay. And I can't do that to him. This is where he belongs. On a track flying past me at speeds I couldn't dream off.

"Top ten." Mom mumbled, her blue eyes never leaving Dad. I nodded my head and gulped. He's got this.

I watched as something changed in Dad. I don't know how I knew, but I did. Maybe it was from years of watching him race or because I knew my father better than almost everyone.

As he pulled into the pit, I could tell he was arguing with himself over what to do. He had only about five second to get his tires changed and refueled if he wanted a chance at betting Storm. "Stella! Here! Now!" Dad shouted.

Without even thinking, I rushed to his side. "Guido! Tires!" He commanded, pointing to me.

"What?!" I exclaimed. Everyone began to shout questions, but Dad kept his eyes on me, getting one last look.

"Stella, it's time to show them whatcha got." He stated.

Okay, now I really was going to throw up. I wasn't going out there. I couldn't if my life depended on it. "What? What are you talking about?"