ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ɴɪɴᴇ

Chapter Nine
"Okay, team. The Florida 500 is in less than three days. In those three days, we have to train Mr. McQueen into the best he's ever been, besides the fact that he's currently entering his midlife crisis." Cruz explained to us at an open field early the next morning. Someone had mowed it down in the shape of a track.

"Hey!" Dad argued, slightly offended by her rude, but honest comment. Hey, I can't say she's wrong. She is our trainer after all.

"I'm sorry, Mr. McQueen, but that's a fact of life. When you start to get old, you get slow!" She started, pacing in front of us. Mater laughed, tapping Dad's side. "But don't worry! We're gonna make you faster than ever before! You will win the Florida 500 and continue racing forever!" She cheered.

"Alright. Let's do this! What's first on our list?" Dad grinned, driving closer to her, excitement present in his voice and on his face. Cruz smiled, nodding her head.

"Well, I'm glad you asked. First, we're going to practice passing." She answered as she began to drive off.

"Passing?" He questioned. All of us turned and looked at Dad. Was there a problem? In my opinion, it sounded like a good start. "Alright, you're my trainer." He agreed.

"That's what I thought." She smirked. She lined us up at the starting line. In case you were wondering, everyone one who was helping Dad train was Mater, Ethan, Luigi, Guido, and me. Personally, I figured the whole town would be trying to help in any way possible, but they were all doing their own things.

"Now, Mr. McQueen-"

"Ya know, you can just call me Lightning," Dad interrupted as she placed him far behind the rest of us. "There's really no need to be proper."

"Sorry," she apologized. "Lightning, I'm placing you far behind to help you get the feeling of starting at the very end. You didn't finish your last season, so you will be last, like dead last." She rambled.

"Yeah, yeah, I get it." He stated, rolling his blue eyes. She smiled and nodded her head. She drove towards the starting line, taking her place beside Guido. She beamed at us, obviously happy about something.

"Go!" She cheered as Guido waved the flag. All of us took off as fast as we could. Dad passed Luigi quickly, but got stuck behind Mater, who, of course, was laughing his head off.

"Should've got you rear view mirrors!" He cheered, slightly taunting Dad.

"Thanks for the tip!" He grinned back. He passed him right before the turn. Mater nodded his head as Dad took his place behind Ethan, trying to find a way to pass him.

Ethan was good, somehow knowing each side Dad was going to pass on. It took him a little while, but he eventually passed my best friend. All he had left was me. I could hear him coming up behind him. "Hey, Little Red." Dad greeted from behind.

"Dad." I replied, trying to keep my thoughts on racing. I had to give him the feeling of racing Storm, only, he was a lot faster than me.

"How's it going? Enjoying the weather?" He asked, trying to make small talk. He was going to try to break me, but I was going to hold out and win this three lap race.

"Dad, I know what you're doing and it's not going to work." I stated as I narrowed my eyes on the road. Only one lap left to go. Speed. I am speed.