thirty-one

'Dan hates you.' the words echo in my skull, sending shots of pain throughout my entire body.

     "On a scale of one to ten, rate your pain." a doctor asks me while recording my vitals down behind his clipboard.

'Eleven.' I wanted to say. But instead, I just mutter, "None, just a bit hungry is all."

He chuckles. I don't.

"Can you stand up and walk for me?" he asks.

"Yes." I push myself off my bed, walking without worry in a straight line, toward him and then back to my bed.

"Any dizziness?" he asks.

"No." I say.

"Good. You're doing well, Amaya." he says and I cringe at my full name.

"Please call me Maya." I say.

"Okay, Maya." he nods as if he's testing it out for use. "I think you're perfectly well enough to be discharged." he smiles warmly at me.

"Thanks. Bye." I say and the doctor laughs.

"Eager?" he asks and I nod. "I'm going to prescribe you something for any pain you may experience." he writes out a prescription.

"Okay." I say dismissively.

"I think your friend brought you some clothes if you want to change out of your gown and come out to the front desk." the doctor points to a chair, where a pile of clothes was neatly folded in its seat.

"Great." I say, barely managing a smile.

"Goodbye, Maya. I wish you well." the doctor stands up, tucking a pen into the pocket on his white coat.

"Thanks." I say and turn away, waiting for the door to shut before I slip off my hospital gown, putting on the outfit that Andrea had brought me.

     Taking a closer look at the reflection in the mirror, I frown at my shirt

Taking a closer look at the reflection in the mirror, I frown at my shirt. Before I know what's going on, I practically feel arms around me, a heart that's not mine pressed to my chest.

       "Your wardrobe is surprisingly boyish."

     I take a step back and lean my back against the wall, my head hitting the wall behind me. I snap out of the memory.

     "Dan..." I cry out quietly, sliding my back down the wall. "Dan, I'll find you." I promise myself more than him.

     After a short-lived sobbing session, I regain to my feet and wipe my tears from my red, puffy face. Avoiding the mirror, I turn away and walk out of the hospital room.

     Eventually, I find the front desk.

     "Name, sweetheart?" the lady behind the desk asks.