thirteen

I go to Dan and Phil's apartment, stepping out of the lift with my hands stuck into the pockets of my sweater. I knock on their door and take a small step back out of nervousness.

Dan opens the door and his face lights up like a Christmas tree, "Maya!" he grins, wrapping his arms around me.

"Dan!" I say back with equal enthusiasm, glad he's actually happy to see me. "So, what do you have planned for today?" I ask when he pulls away.

"It's a surprise." he says cheekily, his dimples concaving into his cheeks as he smiles slyly. "But come in. I made us some coffee." he says, leading me into the apartment and to the kitchen.

We sit at the island bar in the kitchen, making conversation as we drink our coffee. "Where's Phil?" I ask, tilting my head. I felt quite guilty because I hadn't even noticed the happy black haired boy was missing.

"Out." Dan says lowly into his mug. He seems to have had a mood drop since I asked.

"Oh, okay." I smile, trying to cheer him up.

He eventually gives in and asks me, "Why're you smiling like that?" the edges of his pink lips turning up with the words he spoke.

"No reason." I lie.

A List of Reasons Why I'm Smiling
by Maya Coleman
- because it made Dan smile
- because I'm with Dan
- because Dan is cute
- because Dan and I are on a date
- because Dan likes me back

Thank you.

"I don't believe that for one second." Dan laughs.

Add that to the list. I'm now grinning ear-to-ear because Dan's quiet breathy laugh still fills the room no matter how light it is.

"Hm." I simply hum, taking a sip of my coffee.

"You're so pretty." Dan sighs, his figertip circling around the rim of the white mug sitting on the marble table in front of him.

"I could say the same thing about you." I shoot back and he presses his lips into a tight smile.

"You think I'm pretty?" Dan jokes with a glint of happiness in his eyes.

"Oh, shove off. You know what I mean." I laugh rolling my eyes.

"Okay." Dan shrugs.