Words Speak Louder Than Actions

After Maine's surgery, Zone was sitting in his room on his bed with Cyclops laying next to him. Zone was looking at his photo again of him and the other man from back in the Great War. He hears a knock on his door. He puts the photo on his bed and opens the door to see Wyoming. 

"The Director wants to see you chap, says he as a 'surprise' for you." Zone nods before grabbing his helmet and heading to the bridge with Wyoming. "Oh and thank you, for saving us on the highway. Very decent of you to do my friend. You're alright in my book." Zone smiles as they walk onto the bridge. The Director and Counselor turn to see the two Freelancers. 

"Thank you Agent Wyoming, you are dismissed." 

"Yes sir." Wyoming turns and leaves. The Director walks up to Arizona and places a hand on his back. 

"I assume Wyoming told you as to why you are here." Zone nods. "Arizona my technicians have been working on something that I believe will be of extreme use to you and your fellow Agents." Zone cocks his head in confusion. Counselor Price then takes something from behind his back and gives it to Arizona. It was a chip that looks as though you could swallow it like a pill. 

"This is a voice synthesizer, we have modified so you have two voices. One for speaking generally among your friends and me, and the other for interrogating and scaring your enemies." Zone dropped his jaw. He didn't know how to react. 

"We have scheduled your surgery to implant this in your throat today. I would suggest that you prep yourself." Counselor Price suggests. Zone hands the chip back to the Counselor before saluting them both and leaving. 

-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-

Carolina and Wash were walking down the halls of the ship. 

"How are you holding up?" Wash asked. 

"I'm fine." Carolina growled. Wash held up his hands defensively. 

"Carolina calm down." Carolina then grabs Wash by his chest plate and brings them close so their helmets almost touch. 

"Do NOT tell me to calm down. Wash do you have any idea what I've done to get to where I am now? I have given everything to this Project and then suddenly what I do isn't enough for the Director. Suddenly two rookie people just come in and start acting like they're in charge. Well I don't plan to lose my position to a couple of rank amateurs who think they own the place just because they got a few missions done." She then lets go and walks off. 

~Man, what is going through her head? It's just a stupid list.~ Wash thinks. Suddenly he hears voices. He walks down a different direction of the ship till he walk into a room and sees CT on a monitor talking to someone. 

"I'm trying. I understand, I-I just need more time to-" She turns and sees Wash. "I have to go." CT turns off the monitor before walking away. "What're you looking at? Mind your own business." 

"I should say the same." Wash watches her storm out of the room. ~What is going on with women on this ship?~

-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-

Zone steps into the surgery room and takes off his helmet and torso armor. Then after taking off his shirt, he lies down on the table as the doctors and two technicians began to work. They give Zone an anesthetic and begin to work as he passes out. Unknown to the team, Tex was watching from behind the observation glass as Zone underwent his procedure. 

~Looks like he won't have to worry about people not knowing how he feels anymore.~ Tex thinks. After the the surgery, the medics lay Zone down on one of medical beds as Tex came in and sat down next to him. ~Hopefully, he doesn't feel like crap when he wakes up...~ Tex actually took the time to look at all of the scars he had on his torso and back. She sees he has numerous scars going across his chest, some extending all the way down to his abdomen. She takes her helmet off allowing her blonde hair to fall to her shoulders and opening her ocean blue eyes. She gets a better look at his number of scars, knife stabs, bullet wounds. 

~Geez, he must've seen a lot of action before joining the Project.~ Tex was about to touch his chest when immediately a hand firmly gripped her wrist making her gasp. She looked and sees Zone's aqua eyes open. He places a hand on his throat feeling sore, he then sits up with Tex helping him. 

"You feelin okay?" Zone nods. "You gonna give it a try?" She says smirking and placing her hands on her hips. 

Zone opens his mouth and try his voice. "H-How's M-Maine?" He rasps. Tex was surprised to hear it at first, but smiles. 

"He's okay, docs are letting him out today. He'll still be the same tough Goliath he's always been, but won't be able to speak again." 

"I find it somewhat ironic how he loses his and I get one. This things gonna take some getting used to." Zone stands up and put his shirt and upper armor back on. 

"Hey, um...Zone, if you don't mind my asking; what happens to you that you got that many scars?" Zone was taken back at first by the question, but sighed. 

"It's not something I'm ready to talk about yet. But when the time comes I will tell you. I promise." Tex nods and suddenly for some reason she hugs him. Zone was stunned but wraps his arms around her. 

"Zone you've been the only person on this ship who doesn't instantly judge me because of what I'm capable of doing. You're practically the only friend I have. I just...wanted to say thanks." Zone smiles and hand her her helmet. 

"You're welcome." He then puts on his helmet before they both walk out. 

(OKAY SO I JUST WANT TO CLARIFY A FEW THINGS: (1) ZONE'S NORMAL BOICE SOUNDS LIKE BUMBLEBEE FROM TRANSFORMERS ROBOTS IN DISGUISE (2) HIS INTIMIDATION VOICE SOUNDS LIKE CORVUS FROM CALL OF DUTY BLACK OPS 3 AND (3) TEX AND ZONE HAVE A BROTHER AND SISTER RELATIONSHIP. I PLAN TO MAKE ZONE AND CAROLINA BE TOGETHER, SO DON'T WORRY! MORE CHAPTERS YET TO COME!)