20. Vincent

Yeah, here's a short update. I need to work out the last details on how to end this story - wanna tie up as many loose threads as possible. Seriously. I made a draft plot for this story. But did I follow it? No. I just had to go and change my mind along the way and make up new characters.

But It'll come. So I hope you enjoy this chappie!

Derek’s POV

You’d think that waking up in strange places would get old and one day you’d just be used to it. If that was the case Derek still wasn’t, because waking up with a sore arse form sitting on a cement floor again was still equally confusing. And scaring.

Derek didn’t open his eyes completely when he came to, and tried not to change how he breathed. Peeking out from between his eyelashes he could see that he was indeed in a high-rise still under construction. Plastic and tools lying around everywhere. But that wasn’t really what he was interested in. Oh no. More like the guns. The guns in the hands of men and women walking or standing around. There had to be around fifty people in here.

A cough coming from his right compelled Derek to slowly and carefully turn his head. Kim was sitting there, bound on hands and feet and with a gag in her mouth. She looked ragged; her hair one giant bird nest and dried blood on her skin and clothes. Her eyes were open and glaring at a blonde guy sitting in a big leather chair - the kind that could almost qualify as a sofa.

Where have I seen this guy before? Derek stared intently at the man. He had definitely seen him before. The man looked to be in his thirties and was wearing a stylish suit. His hair was young-ish with enough hair-wax in it to make teenage boys squeal in delight.

Stephen!

The man from the elevator. From when he had first been in Leo’s apartment. The meeting came back with a flash and replayed itself in Derek’s mind.

Derek found the elevator – it was already at his floor, talk about luck – and went inside. The elevator had dark oak panels and a dark red carpet, it was a very beautiful elevator. “Now what floor am I on?” Derek mumbled and looked at the small screen over the doors. Derek had to double check before he was certain, he was on the twentieth floor! It was the highest floor in the building apparently, so Leo had a penthouse apartment. Nice.

No, wait. Not nice. This was not nice. He would not let Leo sweep him off his feet. The elevator sat into motion with a quiet hum and classical music started flowing softly. The elevator stopped at the nineteenth floor and a young man with blond hair and a suit stepped inside. With a soft bell-sound the doors closed again and they were alone. In Derek’s opinion standing alone together with a stranger in an elevator is one of the most awkward silence situations ever.

The man glanced at Derek’s attire, probably wondering why such a hillbilly was in here. “I don’t believe I’ve met you before, I’m Stephen,” the man said and extended his hand. Derek took and shook it briefly. “Derek.”

“You are Leo’s acquaintance I presume,” Stephen said and smiled. He had a very pretty, but detached smile. “How’d you know?” Derek asked, astonished. Had the word already spread? What if Leo had carried him bridal-style and everyone saw? “There’s only one floor above the nineteenth and I can see you’re going down not up, deduction, my friend.” Stephen laughed and patted Derek’s shoulder.