-Chapter 22

As soon as Anthony nudged me the next morning, I knew it was time. “Today’s the day, Ian.” He whispers into my ear. His breath on my neck sends shivers down my spine.

“Okay Anthony.” I say, still half asleep. “Did you sleep next to me the whole night?”

“I guess so, yes.” He says. “I had to hide when the nurse checked up on you though.”

“Oh.”

Anthony grabs my hand. Our fingers intertwine, which makes me smile. “I hope you get your legs back.” He says. “Because I’m planning something ‘special’ for when you’re admitted from this hellhole.”

What is that supposed to mean? With a mind like mine, you automatically think dirty. I’ll just have to wait and see what he has in store for me, won’t I?

“Anthony, open up the second drawer please.” I say, opening my eyes. He doesn’t refuse. He opens it to find my house keys. “Don’t wait here all day.” I say. “Go back to my house today. Freshen up. Relieve yourself, I’ve got internet.”

Anthony raises an eyebrow. “What do you mean by, ‘relieve yourself’?” he asks, even though he knows exactly what I’m talking about.

“You know what I mean, smartass!” I laugh. “Just go, I’ll be fine.”

“Okay babe.” He says, kissing me on the head. “Good luck.”

Before I know it, he’s gone. His scent still lingers in the room though.

It’s only a few minutes after he’s gone that I realise that I miss him already.

“He’ll be here when I wake up.” I say to myself. It doesn’t make me feel any better. I hope they hurry up and start fixing my legs.

Almost on cue, a team of nurses and doctors lift me onto this portable bed-thingy and wheel it into the theatre.

They first give me this gas that makes everything they say absolutely hilarious, and then the sleeping gas.

I black out.