-Chapter 19

Am I dreaming? It seems like it.

My stomach starts churning, which makes me feel sick. No, that's not the correct term. Butterflies! That's it. I have butterflies in my stomach. I start shaking. Are my dreams coming true?

Anthony looks a little embarrassed. He won't even look me in the eye, or look at me at all for that matter.

“Do.. Do you l-like me Anthony?” I ask as my voice breaks. This always happens when I hold back tears, and Anthony knows it.

He doesn't answer. He just sits there silently, staring out the window. We sit in silence for a while. Does he need to think his actions through? Was it a mistake? Was it on impulse?

All of these horrible thoughts consume me. I can't wait for an answer.

“I don't know.” He says, quietly. “I don't know anymore Ian. It was a big mistake.”

This is so awkward. I hope someone comes in right now. Almost on cue, a man with a briefcase appears.

“Hello Mr. Hecox.” he says, reaching out for a handshake. I shake his hand. He decides to shoo Anthony out of the chair next to my bed, and sits in it. “How are you feeling?”

“Uh, I could be worse.” I smile weakly.

“That's good that you're recovering.” He says, opening his briefcase and getting out a notepad. “We caught the guy who shot you...” He began.

“My father.” I interrupt. I don't know if this news is new for him, but I've been wanting to get it off my chest for a couple of days now.

“Yes, we are aware of that.” he says. “I was just wondering if you were healthy enough to possibly make a statement in court tomorrow?”

“Yes.” I say. “I'll be there. But what am I going to say?”

The guy is too busy jotting down notes to answer me. I wait for him to finish, and then ask again.

“No need to worry about that, Mr. Hecox. They'll ask you questions, and you have to answer them truthfully. They'll also ask you to recount that awful day. Now that won't be too painful, will it?”

“No sir.” I say, feeling like a child.

The lawyer stands up. “See you tomorrow Mr. Hecox.” he says. And before I know it, he's gone too.

I look over to Anthony, who looks miserable. He drags himself up from the couch and throws himself back into the chair by my bedside.

“Sorry about that.” I laugh. Usually my laugh ends up making him laugh as well. Not this time.

“What's wrong?” I say, brushing the hair out of my face so I could see him better.

He looks into my eyes, which makes my heart skip a beat. The way he looks at me drives me crazy. I try to restrain my myself, but I can't.  “I LOVE YOU ANTHONY PADILLA! EVEN THOUGH YOU KNOW AND WON'T EVER LOVE ME BACK! I LOVE YOU! There, I said it.” I shout.

“I've been thinking.” Anthony says, nervously. “I love you too, Ian Andrew Hecox.”