-Chapter 4

I’m chasing him through the house. I trip a few times, letting him slip further and further away from me. His laugh is bouncing off the walls. I’m laughing too, because it was a game we played often. I find him hiding in a dark room. He notices me, but it’s too late.

  I pounce on him, letting both of us fall to the floor. We’re still laughing. I’m on top of him, holding down his arms. He struggles free, and pulls me close. We kiss a few times, and then get up and continue playing. He bumps into a table while dodging me and a glass of water falls onto the ground and shatters. I’m so preoccupied with cleaning up the glass, I completely forget about Anthony. I notice that the house is dark now. I aimlessly wander through the halls, searching for him. “Anthony.” I call, as I become scared. “This isn’t funny dude, where are you?”

“I’m engaged.” His voice bounces off the wall. It goes silent for a second, and then I hear the clinking of champagne glasses. “Let us make a toast to the love of my life, Kalel. I love you baby!” He says as invisible people cheer and clap. This is terrible.

Anthony reappears and places a box of things in my hands. “The stuff I borrowed from you over the years, man.” He smiles, and places a hand on my shoulder. “We’ll keep in touch, all right?”

I watch as he got into his car and drove off, the moving van following him.

I fell to my knees. “Anthony, come back, come back!” I shout. “I still love you!”

I wake up in a sweat, tears rolling down my cheeks. I’ve had this nightmare every night for the past five years. I prefer not to sleep, since it always upsets me. I can’t live like that forever though, you have to sleep eventually.  I look to my clock, which is on my bedside table. 5a.m. I get out of bed, and head to the kitchen. I run the hot water, and then place my hand under it. I was hoping that it would hurt, but it didn’t. I look at my knuckles, and realised they’ve healed. I become disappointed, as I don’t have any other way to hurt myself. I’d cut, that that’s so childish. But I guess everything I’ve done to date is childish. Slowly fading away because your best friend moved away and lost touch. He was more than that though. He was my soul mate.

I sit down in my usual spot in the corner and cry. Every day, I try to tell myself that everything is going to be okay. That I can get over him. Five years is long enough to get over a relationship, isn’t it? I guess not.