-Chapter 14

Anthony puts his hands over his face. “Fucking hell.” He says, trying to hide his tears.

“Anthony.” I whisper again, fortunately he’s here to hear it this time. “I’ll be fine.”

“I’ve packed some stuff for Ian and me.” Anthony says, leaning over the hospital bed. “I’m going to help you recover.”

 How nice of him to do this. I’ve shut him out for five years, and he just reappears and offers to help me.

“I’m sure Mr. Padilla here will tell you everything.” The doctor says. “Rest up, Mr. Hecox.” And suddenly he’s gone, without a trace of him or the nurses being in the room at all.

I look to Ian, who’s happily playing with a toy car on the floor. I find it weird, because all of the six year olds nowadays want Ipads and things like that.

Anthony collapses onto the sofa again.

“What’s going on Anthony?” I say. Funnily enough, my voice comes back. I thought it would take days. Oh well.

He avoids the question. “Isn’t nice to have you back?! I thought you we’re going to die.”

“TELL ME WHAT HAPPENED ANTHONY!” I shout. Why is he doing this? Why can’t he tell me?

“FINE!” he shouts. “YOU DIED TWICE, ALL RIGHT? I WAS SCARED!” He buries his head into the sofa and cries.

“Whoa, I was not expecting that.” I say aloud. “SORRY I DIDN’T GIVE A MAN MY MONEY! SORRY I GOT SHOT! SORRY I DIED! TWICE!” My voice is becoming hoarse again. I really shouldn’t be yelling like this.

“IT’S NOT YOUR FAULT!” Anthony shouts. I’ve been sleeping on that couch for the last two weeks! Ian’s been sleeping on that chair!” He points to the chair next to my bed. “I didn’t want you to die Ian, that’s all. That’s all.”

“How did you find out about me being shot Anthony?” I ask, calming down.

“It was every news channel Ian.” He says, sitting down into the chair next to my bed. “Your family agreed to release your name. As soon as I found out it was you, I rushed down here with Ian.”

“You could’ve got your mother to look after him, couldn’t you?” I look over to Ian, who is still sitting on the floor with his toy car, making sound effects for it.

“Afraid not, man.” Anthony looks at to me, his eyes filling up with tears. “She’s gone too.”