-Chapter 16

It’s about 5am when I awake. Ian is asleep with a blanket over him on the chair, and Anthony is asleep on the couch.

I’ve probably been screaming all night. Why can’t they stay in my house instead of putting up with me in the hospital? It would have been easier.

“Anthony.” I shout, waking him up.

He yawns. “WHAT?”

“I know the guy.” I say. “The one that shot me.”

“Can it wait?” He sighs, and tries to get comfortable on the sofa.

“Yeah, I guess it can. Sorry.”

There’s no way I’m going back to sleep now.

Right next to my bed is the book that Anthony’s been reading. It’s easily reachable from my bed, so I grab it.

It wouldn’t hurt to read a few pages, right?

I turn on the lamp that’s right next to my bed. It’s light enough to read a book in, but not light enough to wake Ian and Anthony up.

The cover is blank. I go to read the back cover, but it’s blank too.

It doesn’t say anything on the first few pages either; it just goes straight to the story.

I start reading. After a few pages, I realize that that it’s porn.

Gay porn.

I keep reading. I’ve never read this sort of thing before, and it’s really interesting.

I turn the page, to find that it’s wet. I hope it’s not what I think it is.

I glide my finger over the wet page, and put it up to my nose, and smell. YUCK! It is what I think it is.

I wipe my finger on my bedding, and throw the book away from me.

Is Anthony bisexual? I can’t be sure, because who doesn’t read stuff like this from time to time?

I have to wait for him to slip up.

I reach to put the book back in its place, but I can’t reach.

It’s at the end of my bed.

I hate being a paraplegic.

I then become scared. He’s going to notice that I’ve read it! And then he’ll make sure that he won’t slip up, so I’ll never know.

DAMN!

“Ian!” I whisper. “Ian, come here.”

He doesn’t wake up.

“IAN!”

“What?” He says, rubbing his eyes. “I was having an awesome dream about monster trucks!”

I gesture for him to come over to my bed. He wanders over, still half-asleep.

“Pass me that book please.” I ask.

He throws the book to me. “Daddy’s always reading this.” He says while yawning. “Can I go back to sleep now?”

“Yes.”

‘Daddy’s always reading this.’ Is he now?

He jumps onto the chair again and before I know it, he’s snoring.

I place the book on the shelf and fall asleep happy, knowing that the book’s in its original place.

Anthony will never know.