Chapter 22

Saturday 12 July 2014

- Smashing the medicine bottles into her head mrs. Hughes ? What if she was seriously hurt ?
Phoebe didn't speak. She didn't care to answer. The policemen had arrested her after the nurse shouting her lungs out for them to hear her.
- So, let's count. You killed mrs. Luiz, you most probably killed mr.Da Silva,...
- I didn't!
- Don't shout at me, bitch! Nobody's going to help you, I want you to remember that! You're screwed! You're so fucking screwed. A murdered like you will die in prison!
- I'm not a murdered!
- Oh really ? How do you explain so many deaths then ?
Phoebe's eyes watered.
- Leave me alone!
- Oh, you wish.
- Bastard!
The policeman, slapped her cheek. Phoebe screamed and she tried to hurt him with her nails.
- Okay, enough.
Another policeman came in the room, took Phoebe's hands and out handkerchiefs on them.
- No!
- Oh, yes. Follow me Pamela.
- My name's not Pamela!
- Oh really ? Then how should I call you beautiful ?
The policeman said touching her cheeks with his hands.
- Don't touch me!
- Don't worry whore, I don't want to touch you. You disgust me!
- You disgust me!
- Stop it, or I'll kill you.
He said, pointing at his gun. Phoebe started crying while the policeman locked her in her room all on her own.
- Bring me out!
She screamed.
- We're waiting for your lawyer.
- I said bring me out!
The policeman laughed.
- Or what ?
Phoebe spit him in the face and she earned another slap from one of the policemen.
- Shut up!
Her eyes watered again.
- I need to call someone.
- You don't get to call anyone. You stay here until your lawyer comes.
- Please!
- I said no. Shut up!
Phoebe fell to the floor and she kept on crying. Everything had failed. Everything. With so much crying, she managed to fall asleep.

-

- Wake up!
Phoebe opened her eyes to see the foot of the policeman kicking gently her stomach. Phoebe stood up and kicked the policeman hard enough.
- I'm pregnant idiot! Don't you dare kick my baby.
- Shut up. Someone came to see you.
- Who ? Oscar ?
- A man, yes. I don't know his name.
- I want to see him! Let's go!
- Don't be so hasty.
- I said, I want to see him!
The policeman laughed, but he wasn't going to waste his time with her. Phoebe run to find Oscar. He was there, hands in his pocket. Phoebe tried to approach him but the policeman stopped her.
- You don't get,...
- It's okay. She can go. She's free.
- What ?
Another policeman nodded. Phoebe was free from the handkerchiefs. She run to Oscar and he hugged her. He firstly placed a kiss on her forehead and then affectionately searched for her lips.
- I've missed you.
He whispered.
- But it was since yesterday, that,...
- I still do miss you. Come.
He grabbed her hand and led her to his car.
- I need to have a shower.
Phoebe complained. Oscar nodded, focusing on the road. Phoebe was so tired, that she fell asleep. When she woke up, Oscar had parked his car outside his house. Phoebe felt her heart beating fast. Why his house ?
- What are we doing here ?
- You can't go to your house Phoebe.
Her eyes opened wide.
- Why ?
- You just can't.
- Why ?
She shouted.
- First of all, don't shout!
- Why ? What happened to my house ?
- Phoebe,...
- I'm asking you! And what do you think you're doing ? Are you sick in the brain ? If Marcia sees me here, we're both fucked.
- She won't.
- What ?
Oscar unlocked the door to his house and let Phoebe come first inside. Phoebe hesitated but Oscar just grabbed her hand.
- Oscar,...
- Don't worry about Marcia, okay ?
Phoebe came inside the house.
- You can go shower and then get a nap.
Phoebe didn't have the courage to do otherwise. She did have a shower and changing into what she thought was Marcia's pajamas fell asleep in their bed.

-

As she woke up, she heard whispers from downstairs. She made her way till there only to see her beloved friend, Giovanna.
- What are you going to do ? You've got to tell her!
- Tell her what ? She can't see Phoebe here. Thank God, she's not coming home tonight, neither her nor Claudia.
- I can't believe you fought that bad.
- What should have I done ? I'm going to divorce her.
- But Oscar,...you've got a child together.
- I'm going to have a child with Phoebe too though.
- I don't think this is appropriate Oscar! Think about it, please. She's your wife for so many years, and,...Claudia, you can't do that to your daughter.
Phoebe felt her eyes watering. Of course Oscar couldn't do that to his daughter. Claudia was such a sweet girl, she didn't deserve to have her life be like that. Phoebe tried to make a step backwards, but she tripped in her own feet and fell on the floor. Not long after she heard footsteps coming her way.
- You're awake ?
Oscar asked her as if she was his daughter.
- Phoebe!
Giovanna hugged her, but Phoebe made her go away.
- Go and tell the police that you killed Neymar, cause if you don't I swear Giovanna I will.