Chapter 22 - Angelic

"How..." My voice comes out as barely a whisper and I don't even realize I've taken a step back until my shoulder blades are pressed against the hard brick wall behind me. I don't, I don't know how to react to this. My brain is a mess of confusion and shaking my head to clear it isn't doing a damn thing. Finally, I take a deep breath and lock eyes with the girl in front of me, someone I thought I knew. "How." I say more forcefully this time, and it's more of a demand of an answer than a question. "How in hell is this possible?" The look on Wren's face is one I can't exactly read, it's something like guilt or worry or apprehension. 

"Not exactly." My head whips to the left and I can't help but glare slightly at the blonde haired boy I had forgotten was there. I wasn't asking him, I was asking the girl that by any sense of reason should not even be in this world. I respond to him anyway, with narrowed eyes. 

"And what, pray tell, does that fucking mean?" I take a step towards him and suddenly feel a strong hand on my shoulder, Sam's. He had come up next to me when I was focused on Wren and this boy. His grip on my shoulder is tight, but not too tight, and through it he conveys a sort of strength and reassurance that calms me down. He must of felt somehow that my emotions were about to boil over and scald us all.

"Not 'in Hell.' In Heaven." A smirk spreads across his pretty boy face.

"Oh, Jesus Christ." I throw my hands up in the air and turn away from him, running one hand through my hair in exasperation. This is too much, and nothing makes sense.

"Jocelyn." I hear my name spoken softly off to my right, and I turn to face Wren. "I need to explain." She says, taking a step forward.

"Damn right you do." Dean states from behind her, voicing exactly what I was thinking. Dean walks towards Cas and the two of them join Sam and I. Now the four of us stand in a semi-circle facing Wren and the guy, whose backs are to the brick wall. Everyone is tense and wary, it's unclear what could happen right now.

Wren takes a deep breath and locks eyes with me, her gaze once again reflecting what looks guilt or regret. "Can we, uh, maybe go somewhere-"

"No." I interrupt her. "Wren, you need to tell me what the hell is going on right now. Or have you completely forgotten that I've been living in a different universe for three months now and I still have no idea how I actually got here. Not to mention the fact that all of a sudden one of my best friends, whom I had every reason to believe was still back where I came from, shows up in the middle of a dark alley holding my boyfriend up against a wall with super powers. And-"

"Alright!" Wren holds up a hand and I stop talking, biting my lip. I almost started ranting again. "I'm going to explain, but it may be confusing and I just, I don't know if it'll make any sense. But first," She pauses and glances at the blond boy beside her who has begun to look a little worried about how every thing is going right now. Something tells me this didn't exactly go down how they planned, whatever that plan was. "This is Indio Rycheck. He's a, well we're both, um." 

"Wren." I raise my eyebrows in an expression that says 'Just spit it out.'

"Angels. We're angels." Wren shifts uncomfortably in the shocked silence that follows, which is broken only by an unbelieving scoff from Castiel and a sarcastic "yea, right, and I'm the fucking king of England" from Dean. 

There are a million thoughts rushing through my head right now and not a single one is clear enough for me to hold onto. How could my best friend, a girl I've known my entire life, be an angel? Though I guess I didn't even know I was different until a month ago. Sometime during my internal freak out I realize something. 

"But we," I pause and take a deep breath, changing my train of thought. "The light from your hands, it's like mine. It's like Cas's too, only not blueish white."