The Setting - Ironport Island

“On this road there are no godspoke men. They are gone and I am left and they have taken with them the world.”

― Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Everyone remembers the outstretched woodlands of the movie's Hunger Games. We're going to set our Hunger Games in a slightly different place.

Make sure to google this: Google Street View of Hashima

One of the first links will allow you to take a virtual tour of the island to get a good feel for it :)

This is an island that used to house coal miners and their families and was owned and operated by Mitshubishi. It's been abandoned since the seventees. It was in use from 1887 to 1974 as a coal mining facility. The island's most notable features currently are the abandoned and undisturbed concrete apartment buildings and the surrounding sea wall.

In 'our' world it's going to be the remains of a giant island stronghold called Ironport Island.

Sadly I've not read the books so I don't know if any such island existed there, but we're going to call one in to existence just for our contest.

It's structures are just as badly damaged as those on Hashima Island but more overgrown as people will have been gone longer. The island will be much bigger (similar size to the forest from the movie) and instead of the damage just being a result of abandonment we're going to see more buildings damaged and destroyed by explosive blasts.

Right in the middle there is going to be a large, circular plaza where the islanders used to gather for social events. The fountain that stood there will have been leveled to make room for the Cornucopia. All around the plaza will be lots of buildings and sky scrapers in various stages of decay.

The Capitol will have gone through the place thoroughly; not to check for safety hazards but rather to make sure there aren't any items left in any of the buildings that might give someone an unfair advantage. Like you needed one anyway ;)