( CHAPTER TWELVE )

CHAPTER TWELVE

CHAPTER TWELVE . LETTERS BREAK OUR HEARTS (2)

content warning: mentions of curse words. that's it.

▅▅▅

     FUEGOLEON LIKED TO THINK LIFE was fair. Other than being Royalty, he was the heir to House Vermillion. It is only impartial that he judges every mage with the same scale of justice, and eye for truth the same way his father had.

     But as he hid behind a rock, trembling from what he read, perhaps describing life as 'fair' was too kind.

     Yesterday, he went on a mission with his rival and cousin: Nozel, to find their family heirloom passed only to the successor of House Vermillion.

     When Lord and Lady Vermillion gifted him the necklace three months ago after he received his grimoire, the crimson-haired boy could still recall the felicity of his own being, and the smile his elder sister exhibited— softer than a plume of feathers.

     He could never be happier in his life. Yet there was a void he could not fully understand that existed somewhere in his heart.

     So, when he lost the necklace, one could only imagine how much his own clumsiness wretched his mind.

     Nozel scolded him but offered to help him find the necklace. The two ended up finding the necklace and opted to return as soon as possible. Both of them were heirs and Royalty, after all.

     But then Fuegoleon felt the heat of the summer air flutter coldly for a mere second. In an instant, he recognized who made such possible.

     In Clover Kingdom, only one family was capable of manipulating the weather itself: House Solace. Without so much as informing Nozel, Fuegoleon foolishly ran after the winter breeze in hopes to find its source.

     Fuegoleon did admit that what he'd done was stupid.

     Idiotic.

     Irrational.

     But something was off about the whole situation and he sensed it. Danger tingled from the tips of his fingers and wedged itself inside his grimoire.

     His basis? according to Juliette's letters, both the Lord and Lady of House Solace along with her brother went out to the borders of the kingdom to escort the King's relative.

     'The question is, 'Why're they here already?'

     Well, if Fuegoleon were more honest to himself, perhaps he'd admit to being a coward. That the reason he so desperately chased after such little breeze of hope was that he thought it was Juliette.