( CHAPTER SEVEN )

CHAPTER SEVEN

CHAPTER SEVEN . HIS LIABILITY

▅▅▅

PITCH BLACK WAS the color of the room as Juliette entered her father-in-law's office. The curtains were not draped, the maids were dismissed, all other routes of exit were closed, and only his silhouette that was facing her back was seen before closing the door.

Leau turned on the small lamp of the room and offered her to have a seat on the sofa where they were to discuss such important matters as he regarded. Juliette obeyed most obediently, not wanting to upset him.

The young maiden recollected all of her earlier activities, jotting down notes in her mind of all the mistakes she's made if she was summoned because of it again. "Juliette." with both of her hands sweating while being clasped together, she looked back up at him, whose eyes were tormenting her soul.

She gulped, "Y-Yes, Sir?" the deafening silence resonated her ears as Lord Silva sat across her with four books in hand, dropping it on the table, dust transpiring from it, "Book one of volume seven, page two-hundred and forty-five, stated in paragraph six, sentence number four, five and six..." Juliette took the books and quickly went over them, trying to find what he was pertaining to.

"Read it." he commanded and she followed.

"One of the seven pillars that are essential in becoming a woman of refined taste and distinction for their husband is discipline. With a high status attached to their very feet, it is expected that they are able to control themselves with utmost caution and care with their actions, words, and prominence of presence, lest they wish upon the downfall of their partners. Despondency in carrying out such virtue is and should never be entertained."

He took out a photo of four different women and placed it in front of her, gesturing for the woman to have a look at each one, "Victoria Silva, two generations before me. Merraine Silva, wife of my great grandfather. Helena Silva, to my grandfather's. And last, but never the least, Acier Silva. My wife." despite the runny nose that the dust was causing, Juliette sucked it all in and gave a questioning look.

"What is recurrent in these women?" the pinnacle of his speech has been revealed, and to her adversity, she like always, was unprepared and had not one clue, "I-I do not know, sir." her answer was hesitant, but from their previous meetings and lessons, she learned that to answer the truth is better than to give the treatment of saying nothing.

"What is recurrent in these women?" he repeated, disregarding her answer. 'They're all women, obviously.' her answer to his question in her mind made her bite her inner lip.

"I do not know, sir." she answered again with more certainty, equipping her mind for the foul words that would come out of his mouth.

Leau sighed, "Acier will give birth in December, as assumed by the doctors. Nozel will finally be taking the Magic Knight Exams the following year, and you, what have you improved yourself on?" 'I taught Nozel how to braid his hair, Sir—'

"You are soon to be House Silva's mistress and yet your manners can be compared to that of a commoners! The estate of this realm acknowledges those who possess qualities that would make us look good, but you— if you do not improve yourself, you will be the most shameful person in Clover. If it weren't for the recommendation of my wife I would've never agreed to it. I would've chosen that Roselei, or maybe even the eldest of the Retairioute's!" Juliette lowered her gaze and gripped the book tightly with her hands.

"Do you wish to be Nozel's weakness?" she looked up and shook her head. 

"No." That was the last thing she ever wanted to be. 

"Then fix yourself and get it together." Lord Silva stood up and opened the door, motioning for her to leave.

On the brink of tears, she took the books that were thick and heavy, as well as the pictures, and left his office. With much thought and sadness, she failed to notice the person walking towards her and bumped into them, resulting in one of the books stubbing her toe. 'Lucky day. I should've just left with a smaller suitcase!'

Juliette frowned and cursed silently, concerning the person she collided with, "Juliette is everything alright?" her eyes widened at the familiar voice and confirmed such assumption when her eyes met mauve ones.

She didn't answer and instead took the books from his hand.

"Juliette!" Nozel Silva chased and called her, but his words never reached her as she was long gone in the corridors. The lady left House Silva with a heavy heart.

CHAPTER SEVEN, END.

▅▅▅