Chapter 4 - Not Everyone Is Cruel

Tiger sat in the living room curled up in a tight ball, wallowing in his own tears, watching as his parents fought once again. He knew everything they fought about was about him. Whether they should give him up for adoption or a mental institution.

        The worse part was that he could hear every word they were saying. This fight is different, although. It wasn't about Tiger, but it had something to do with him. He knew it was his fault Matthew and Adrienne were getting a divorce. He made them miserable and hate each other with passion. That only made Tiger cry harder.

        "This is not his fault," Matthew yelled, trying to defend him. Tiger glanced up from his tight ball and smiled  slightly  before he wiped his face with his sleeve, but the tears continued.

        "What are you smiling about," Adrienne demanded Tiger after seeing a small smile spread across his lips. Tiger looked down and tucked his head back into his little ball.

        "Don't you dare yell at him. Look at me! You're yelling at me, not him," Matthew defended Tiger once again.

        "I don't care who I am yelling at right now, I just want this freak far away from me."

        "Don't call him a freak. He is not a freak!"

        "Yes he is! Why won't you for once just listen to what I have to say, just once. Maybe I should have given him up for adoption or dropped him off somewhere far away without you."

        Adrienne furrowed her eyebrows as she watched as Matthew chuckled slightly. He shook his head and crossed his arms.

        "You wouldn't do such thing," was all that he said. "And," he continued.

        "Why the hell would I ever listen to what you have to say. Everything you say has to do with getting rid of Tiger or alcohol. Do you ever listen to what I have to say? No, you never do. So why should I listen too what you have to say?"

        "Because that is what a married couple does!"

        "It doesn't seem like we're a married couple, now does it?" Adrienne stayed quiet for a bit. He mouth was open as if she was about to argue back, but nothing came out. Matthew chuckled slightly and shook his head.

        "No he's not normal. No one is normal. He wouldn't be so different if you actually treated him like a kid instead of a rag doll. He wouldn't feel so scared of you if you actually stopped bullying him. You don't have an ounce of sympathy towards him even though this is your fault.You can make Trina the perfect little girl all you want, but I want you to leave Tiger alone," he demanded strictly, taking a quick glance at Tiger too see him trying to smile.

        "You're not a real mother. You don't know how to do anything, but hurt Tiger. It's your fault he's this way, your fault. I can't always be there for him, so I guess it is part my fault, but you're always here.

        I am so sick and tired of always having to clean up your mess, to do your work while you do nothing at all, and the way you treat Tiger is unacceptable. I'm done, Adrienne, done!"

        Matthew turned his heels and quickly stormed out of the room.

        Adrienne glanced at Tiger and scowled at him before going after Matthew.

        "And where the hell do you think you're going. You have no right to leave," she demanded, crossing her arms into her chest.

        "Anywhere is better than here. In fact, I'm going to New York," he yelled even louder, pulling out his large suitcase.