Chapter 19: The Truth

Alexander's POV

''Coming! Stop pounding on the door!'' I yelled.

Holding my head with one hand I descended the stairs going to the door. Who the hell is at this hour? People are sleeping. I yanked the door opened ready to yell to whoever it was. I had a terrible night and I needed some sleep.

''Wh- Owen? What are you doing here this early?''

''Is Evelyn here?'' he asked and walked in the house.

''Good morning to you, too. I'm fine. Thanks for asking. Please come in.'' I said sarcastically and closed the door.

''It's not the time for sarcasm. Is your wife here?''

''I don't know. Why?''

''Are you serious now?''

''What?''

''If you forgot it, you two are married which means that you're sleeping in the same bed. You should know if she's here or not.''

''Firstly, we didn't sleep together last night because we had a fight and secondly, how am I supposed to know if she's here or not from the fact that she's in the same room as me? She could be in the bathroom for all I know.'' I said irritated going to the kitchen to make coffee.

The events of last night came back to me. After the fight, I went to one of the guest rooms and emptied the bottle of whiskey. I admit that I crossed the line last light, but that doesn't change the fact that Evelyn lied to me.

''You had a fight? Again?'' Owen asked following me.

''Yes. Why? Is there a problem?'' I replied glaring him.

''Yes, but that's not the problem right now. Go find Evelyn. I need to talk to her.''

''Why?''

''I want to ask her something about Nadia.''

''You had to come this early for that?''

''What early? It's almost ten.''

''What? I thought it was seven.''

''Yeah, right. Now go upstairs to see if Evelyn is here.'' he said pushing me to the stairs.

''Okay, okay. No need to push me. I was going to anyways. I have to get dressed.'' I told him and went upstairs.

It was a little weird the house to be this quiet at this hour. Evelyn usually goes to the cafe around eleven. She was probably still sleeping. I'll go into our room, get a change of clothes, wake her up and leave. It was a good plan. However, the moment I opened the door and stepped into the room, an uneasy feeling appeared in the pit of my stomach.

Her bed was made up and the closet's door was open. I went to get my clothes, but the only thing I could see was that all her clothes were not in there. Looking around the room I realized that all her belongings were missing. I didn't know what to think. Where did she go? Changing really quickly into a pair of jeans and a shirt, I run downstairs.

''Well?'' he asked.

''She's not upstairs.'' I replied.

''Then, she'll be at the cafe.''

''I don't think so.''

''What?''

''Her things are missing, Owen. She left.''

''Evelyn as well?''

''Who else has left?''

''Nadia. I don't know where she is. Her landlord told me that she left this morning.''