Chapter 7: Her past

Alexander's suit for the wedding. I know it's a little early but in the next chapter, I will put Owen's suit. Enjoy reading! :)

Evelyn's POV

 From the looks Alexander was giving me, it was very obvious that he didn't expect me to say that. I didn't expect it, either. But as he soothed me and caressed my cheek, I made up my mind. I felt safe with Alexander and he deserved to know the truth. Even if it is quite sad and terrifying. For me at least. We are going to be husband and wife soon. For a marriage to succeed there should be no secrets between the couple and one should trust the other. This was my only secret and I trusted Alexander. 

''Are you sure? As much as I want to know, I can wait until you're ready.'' Alexander said.

He is so sweet and considerate. How can any woman not fall in love with him?

''I'm ready.'' I said and took a deep breath.

What I was going to tell Alexander would bring memories back. Memories that I wanted so much to forget and act like I never had them in the first place. But one look at Alexander's encouraging eyes was enough for me to muster all my courage and start talking. 

''Yesterday, while I said you the reasons for suggesting the St. Leonard of Port Maurice, I am pretty sure that you knew I was hiding something. Am I correct?'' I asked.

''Yes. After living with you, I can understand you now better.'' Alexander said.

''I'm thankful that you decided not ask me then because I wasn't ready. Well, the real reason behind my choice of church is that my parents married in that church. I always wanted to marry at the same church they married. You must be wondering now why I suddenly brought up my parents when clearly I don't talk about them. They were both nice and calm people who loved me very much. I loved them, too. But one day my parents died in a car accident.  I was fourteen then. I still remember the nights I cried myself to sleep because I missed them. They left me in the care of my uncle, from my father's side, and his family. It was from then that my life started going downhill.'' I said.

I stopped to take a much-needed break and collect my thoughts. It was never easy for me to talk about my family. I always ended up crying. I could feel the tears in my eyes wanting to roll down my cheeks. I closed my eyes to stop them and took a breath. Alexander must have sensed something was wrong because he started rubbing his hand up and down my thighs in a soothing and calming manner. I appreciated his gesture and my heart was filled with love for him.

''My uncle's family never saw me as a family member. Neither did my uncle. I was just his brother's child, not his own daughter. A couple of months after my parent's death started the abuse. Not physical. Only verbal. I was called so many names every day that little by little my self-esteem was disappearing. This continued for years until I was eighteen. At that age, I was a person that had no self-esteem and confidence. I wasn't myself anymore. I was so closed up to myself that I lost many of my friends. Fortunately, when I applied for a scholarship for economics, they accepted me and I left to study. My uncle and his family were so happy to be able to get rid of me. I was happy as well for managing to get away from that hell. I had saved up some money from the jobs I had done and I was able to cover my first expenses. At the campus, I met Nadia. We quickly became best friends despite me being closed with so many walls around me. She was the one that brought back my old self. I never met my uncle or his family again and I'm glad. I'm happy now and I have all I need.'' I finished.

Alexander may not believe me, but I really was happy. Despite this wedding being held because of the baby, I was getting married to the man I loved with all my heart and soul. Also, I was pregnant with my loved one's child. What more can I ask? In the future maybe I will have a place in Alexander's heart. However, it has so many walls around it that I don't know if I can even destroy them. No matter what I am going to fight for this marriage to work out.