Chapter 23

As soon as we entered the castle, there was a flurry of maids running around to gather us and to help us get ready for bed as Caspian had ordered. I was set in the same room and I stood still as the maid helped me to put on my night dress of which I was so capable of doing by myself.

 There was a knock and the maid excused herself to open it. 

"Is Lady Charlotte in there?" asked a female voice.

The maid quietly answered and continued to exchange words with the sudden guest. I tried to sneak a view of who it was until the maid turned to me and bowed slightly. "Sorry milady, I shall excuse myself. This is princess Julie a distant cousin of Lord Caspian, she wishes to be in your presence."

Caspian's disant cousin? I thought to myself. "Oh- well yes of course, but I'm a bit underdressed right now." 

"Oh don't worry! I can help you with that." said Princess Julie as she entered closing the door behind her.

I raised an eyebrow. "Are you sure Princess Julie? I mean Princesses-"

"Oh I can handle a few buttons." she smiled quietly as she sat down in front of me. I stared at her curiously. I didn't know Caspian had a distant cousin in Cair Paravel, but then of course I still have yet to learn more about him. "You're really lucky miss." she mumbled silently.

I looked at her as she nervously fumbled with the buttons that ran through the middle of my dress.  She was a quiet looking girl, with blue eyes and short brown hair. She looked a bit older than me, possibly Susan's age. I thought. 

"Why?" I asked.

She looked up at me as if surprised I heard her. "Well," she said quickly going back to fixing the buttons. "I can't say..."

"Why not?" 

"It isn't my place to say so. After all aren't you well acquainted with the Pevensies?"

"Of course I am, we're like good friends now. But that doesn't mean you can't tell me anything. I can keep a secret." I smiled.

She hesitated slightly before answering. "You get to be in the presence of the High King Peter, and Caspian, a-and King Edmund."

"Why they're just-" I stopped suddenly remembering that to them, they were seen as Kings and saviors of Narnia. So they were regarded as high ranked people. I mentally slapped myself for nearly forgetting the customs and such. I need to start seeing things like how Narnia people would see things.  "They're lovely company I'm sure."  She blushed which I found almost funny since, she was older and I was the one who was supposed to be blushing over the rest of the Kings. I looked down at the unfinished buttons and gently took her hands off of them. "Here I can do it myself." I said quietly. "Why don't you just sit and relax on my bed for now?"

"B-but I can't!" she said looking almost shocked. "Let me do it for you. It is almost absurd to let a daughter of Eve-"

"Oh hush, it's only buttons. Besides I know you want to talk more about Caspian, Peter and Edmund." I smirked.