Chapter 27

I watched as Julie struggled to climb upon the carriage that was a bit too high for her. She gave me a helpless look. "Charlotte?"

I was about to move up to help her when someone brushed past me. "Allow me." Edmund intervened gently lifting her waist. "Excuse me milady." he said and made sure her footing was firm within the carriage. 

"Thank you Edmund." she smiled brightly and gave me a discreet wink.

Edmund climbed in after her and I followed through nearly hitting my forehead in the process. 

"You okay Charlotte?" Peter asked.

"I can handle my own." I said getting myself as comfortable as I could. I found wearing dresses everywhere absolutely bothersome much to Susan's dismay, but I compromised that I will wear dresses on the most important of occasions. So I've decided to dress into light brown pants with dark brown boots that are easily fit and light for traveling topped with a loose dark green blouse. Amongst the five of us I was the only female wearing pants and I intended to keep it that way. 

I sat beside Caspian who sat across Edmund, Peter, and Julie. We had woken up in the early hours of the morning since apparently most of the towns people are awake by then.

The carriage set off on it's way and I stared out the window as we moved past the palace gates and into the busy streets. As we passed, many of the narnians waved excitedly as smiles animated their faces. 

"What are we doing today King Caspian?" Julie asked.

"We are in need of some items and so I thought today would be a great opportunity to go out and do that. I'm hitting two birds with one stone as they say." He turned towards the carriage driver and told him to stop.

The whole day went well with smiles and introductions and it was a great pleasure meeting the people I am to care for. The Narnians were kind and although shy, they welcomed us with open arms. Things would have been immensely better if it hadn't been for Julie's annoying helplessness. The whole time I wasn't sure if she was faking it or if she was actually that helpless.

"Edmund look! What pretty trinkets they are." Julie said as she ran over to a stand. "Aren't they pretty?"

Edmund stood beside her and looked down at her excited face. "Do you want any of them?" 

"Julie you already have many of those back in your home. You have a jewelry box full of them. Remember what your parents said." Caspian sternly scolded her. 

She pouted. "Oh Caspian please!" she pleaded.

"It's alright Caspian. Let her be, I'll handle it." Edmund said and turned towards her. "Which one do you want?"

I watched as Julie beamed happily at him- a rosy color slowly growing on her cheeks. "Really? Thank you so much King Edmund! Hmm, let's see..." 

I turned around to look away as a burning sensation grew in my chest. Pretty girls always get what they want don't they. The sound of loud taunting voices led my eyes to the direction of a handful of ragged young boys who appeared to be in a circle pointing and laughing at two small figures in the middle. Some threw their arms back and released what happened to look like rocks. 

I walked closer out of curiousity and saw a young boy using his body to shield an even smaller boy from the pelting rocks. This broke my heart and at the same time angered me. 

"Eat that you filthy rats!"

"Scum!"

"Eat rubbish!"

"Get you and your freak show brother away from us!"

I looked to see an older boy who appeared to be the leader taunting both of the poor kids. Quickly I came up from behind him and grabbed his arm. The other boys glared at me.