Chapter 14: Homecoming

Homecoming at Blake Prep was the time where the whole school was literally crazy for football. Football became a whole new meaning of popularity. You'd think the big homecoming dance in the following week would be the whole craze, but it wasn't. It was all football, more football, and even more football.

Football players reached a whole new level of popularity. Since homecoming was the first major game of the year, all new players on varsity were suddenly showcased, sky-rocketing their popularity. Alex became the new talk of the school very quickly. A new running back that came to the school at the beginning of senior year and actually got the spot was rare.

And being his twin sister had a bunch of girls come up to me to try to be my friend. It was pretty pathetic if you asked me because the same thing happened back at our old school in Boston. Alex was on the team since sophomore year, and ever since then I've had greedy, gold-digging, desperate for popularity girls come up to me randomly with the offer of friendship. Too bad for them because I could clearly see through their fake, make-up covered faces. 

The big homecoming day was apparently so big that classes were canceled that day. Everybody showed up to the game. Teachers, all the students, and a lot of family members. The school made it sound like a mandatory event.

Homecoming was today, and Alex and I were sitting in his dorm, watching the homecoming tape from last year. Homecoming was always played against Blake Prep's rival school: Bridgestone Academy. Last year they lost, and Noah had lectured the whole team the day before with all the weaknesses and strengths of Bridgestone. He even had them watching the tape of last year's tragic loss to know what not to do.

Alex was tapping his fingers on the table and closely watching the plays made. I knew he wanted to play as well as he could. He had no experience against Bridgestone, so he only had a gist of what would be expected. "Their defense is great," Alex said.

I focused on their defense and saw that it was indeed great."You'll just have to get around them quicker and use all that 'fancy footwork' you have," I told him. 

"Fancy footwork?" He chuckled at my incorrect term. "But my fancy footwork has been on tape already from our games last week and the week before. Bridgestone has been sure to see it."

"Alex, you and I both know that how you've played so far this season is nowhere near to the really, really great fancy footwork you can do."

We continued to watch the tape until the end of the game, which resulted in Blake Prep losing by one point. The game must of devastated everyone last year because the roar of the Blake Prep crowds silenced and everyone on the team was walking in shame. "That must have sucked."

"It did," Noah said, coming out of nowhere and plopping down next to us. "That was our worst loss of the year, losing by one point. We just couldn't get past the defense."

"I'm sure you guys will win in a couple hours. I'll be there to cheer you guys on," I told them, patting their shoulders. I looked at the time. "Let's head over to the field. You guys should be there soon."

Alex went to get his stuff in his room, but Noah stayed back with me and rested his head on my shoulder. He grabbed my hand and started fiddling with it, breathing out harshly. "I'm nervous, little smurf. There's so much pressure." He got off of me to lean back on the couch. Noah closed his eyes and let out a sigh. "I just know that I can't screw up."

He looked stressed, and my whole demeanor softened at the sight of him. I wanted to do everything I could to take his stress away; to get him back to making fun of with that smirk of his. I don't know why, but I never wanted to see him look like that.