Chapter 5: Looking Deep Is Hard, But Understanding Is Even Harder

After my spectacular execution of Phases 1 and 2, it was time for Phase 3. Phase 3 would've been more difficult, since it involved P.E. Hopefully, Noah would be irritated enough to look like a hot-headed freak.

To our luck, Alex had his 3rd class as a free period today. So while he set everything up, I sat away in AP Biology.

Don't take me wrong; I rather liked biology because it was interesting. I'd just rather not be in class while I worried about my idiot brother messing things up.

It wasn't even a joke because I could totally picture it. One second he had everything going perfectly, and in the next, everything just happened to be a disaster.

If the plan was going the way I hoped it was, then Alex should be putting itching powder in Noah's shorts.

I know, I know. It's not original, but hey, if it works then it works. Simple as that. The itching powder will probably end up on himself, though. Knowing my brother, his luck only went so far. I'd call knowing what he's doing as "twin telepathy", but it's common knowledge that my brother is stupid. I pray for my brother's poor soul at times like this.

I watched the clock tick every second as if time would speed up if I willed it to. Minutes seemed like hours as time passed, and I was probably looking like the weirdest person ever glaring at the clock.

Apparently, the guy next to me noticed and said, "You know that it's scientifically proven that the more you stare at a clock to pass time, the more it'll seem as time moves slower. So you should stop burning holes into that clock." He tapped on my arm with his pencil, to snap me out of my staring match with the clock. "I'm Sam, and I'm guessing you're new here."

"Yeah I'm new here," I said. "And I didn't know that, but it seems true, so I'm going to stop staring at the clock." I gave Sam a little smile, and he smiled back at me.

This guy was really cute. Sam had dirty blonde hair and these sea-blue eyes that were absolutely amazing. His eyes temporarily blinded me and had me now staring into them. Sam's eyes were blue, and I loved blue, so you can't blame me for getting lost into them.

"So, I got you to stop staring at the clock, but now you won't stop staring at me. I don't know whether or not to feel flattered or scared because you look like you're going to eat me alive." He rubbed the back of his neck. "I also never got to catch your name."

I blinked twice and snapped out of my trance. "Oops, sorry," I said sheepishly. "Oh and my name is—" I was about to tell him, but the bell rung before I could say it. "Sorry, but I really have to go now, but thanks for distracting me. I guess I'll see you around soon." I gave him a little wave and rushed out of the classroom.

I hurried on to P.E, to get changed. I saw Serena in the locker room, said a quick "hi", changed, and then hurried out to the gym. When I saw Alex, I literally jumped on him to get him to tell me our progress.

"Whoa, Azalia. What's the rush?" he asked.

"Did you do it? Did you do it?" He began to smirk and was about to reply when I exclaimed, "And don't you dare say 'that's what she said' or anything else like that!"

His smirk stayed, and he let out a dramatic sigh. "Of course I did, though it was kind of difficult picking with his lock. But you know me; I can open any lock."

It's true that Alex can open any lock. Out of all the skills he could've gotten, he got the ability to unlock locks, crack codes, find passwords, and other things that I still do not know about. It's genius, actually, and can really come in handy.