Chapter 11: You Belong With Me

You would think that after a long weekend and an even longer week of school, where I got a ton of homework and surprising pop-quizzes, I'd be able to have a peaceful Friday afternoon to myself. But, no. My Friday had different plans for me when my mother called.

You would also think that when you lived across the country from your parents, and they called you, it would be for a simple "check-up" to see "what you were doing." And you'd lie because you're parents would never know, since you're over a thousand miles apart, but they would know when you lied because they hired a private detective to "see what you were doing."

I know—most parents wouldn't hire a private detective. But my parents weren't most parents"

When I heard my phone ring and saw my mom's contact, I picked up the phone, thinking it was one of the annual "check-ups." I set the phone to my ear chirping, "Hi, Mom. How are you doing?"

I expected a "Fine, honey. How are you?" or a "I'm doing fine. What are you up to?"

But what did I get? What was the first thing she said?

"Azalia, you're grounded."

I didn't even get a "hi" or simple greeting. All I got was an "Azalia, you're grounded."

And all I thought was, Well, hi to you too, mother. It's nice to know I'm loved. Love you too!

Of course I didn't say anything out loud because next thing you know, I'm grounded for not only one week, but two. I settled for, "You can't ground me. How are you even going to ground me?"

"Are you giving me sass, young lady?" she asked.

I sighed. "No, Mom. I'm not. And I'm guessing this supposed 'grounding' is because of the mall thing."

I could practically feel the anger my mother was radiating through the phone. "Not only that. You and your brother," she gritted through her teeth, "forgot your Aunt Nicole. The woman who was there for your births, is your godmother, my best friend, and the aunt you've known throughout your whole life!"

"How did you find out about that?"

"How did I find out about it? You're aunt told me herself!" she angrily said. "You two are lucky she found the whole thing funny, or else your punishment would be worse."

I sighed again. We were really in trouble about Aunt Nicole and the mall thing. And if Aunt Nicole told our mother about not recognizing her, then did she also tell her about the mall thing too? I didn't think she would do that. Knowing her, she'd want us to take responsibility and fess up by ourselves. That meant if she didn't tell our mother about the mall thing, then my parents actually hired a private detective to "check-up" on us!

"Oh my gosh, Mom! You hired a private detective didn't you? He's the one who told you about the mall thing!" I yelled at her.

"Lia, what are you talking about? What private detective? I didn't hire any detective! Tristan is the one who told me. I asked him to watch over you guys!"

Tristan? Tristan told her? What in the mushrooms was she talking about?

"Wait a second... Tristan? Tristan, our Tristan told you? My Tristan? You know, my best friend, T? That Tristan?"

"What other Tristan do you know, Azalia? This is the same Tristan you've known all your life!"

Oh my snaps. The next time I saw him I would strangle him until he begged to breathe.