Chapter 20- News

Despite my mess of a love life, I was doing alright at work. I still hadn't heard anything from my boss David about my audition. Come to think of it, I don't even remember seeing him there. But then again, I was a little preoccupied.

I didn't wanna bother him about it though. Yes I was very eager to hear what he had to say, but I didn't want to come across as desperate. That just wasn't an image of myself that I wanted to be seen.

I snapped out of my deep thinking session and returned to my work. Filing and typing... over and over again. It got really boring after a while.

Ring Ring

I answered the phone as enthusiastically as I could for the moment.

"Hello, thank you for calling Red Line Records. This is Sally speaking how may I help you today?"

I heard a chuckle on the other end.

"It's just me David, honestly do you not check the caller ID like ever?"

I looked at the phone and realized his name was on the little screen. I mentally face palmed myself and made a note to check the caller ID from now on.

"I guess not sir. What can I do for you?"

"How many times do I have to tell you, please call me David. Uh, can you come in for a sec?"

Maybe it was news about my night at the Polka Dot Lounge! My eyes widened so much I was afraid they might pop out.

"Yeah sure thing si- I mean, David."

I hung up the phone and started walking towards his office, trying not to get too excited. Honestly he probably just needed some files or something. He probably forgot about the open mic night.

I took a deep breath before knocking and entering his office. God his office was huge. He greeted me with a smile and asked me to sit down.

"So do you have any idea why I'd ask you to come in here right now?" he raised his eyebrow at me.

"Uh, honestly, no. I figured maybe you needed me to bring you some files or something." I scratched my head.

He pursed his lips and took out a pen and paper from his desk.

"Nothing else comes to mind?"

"Not really, I mean, I'm sure it's something important otherwise you wouldn't have called me in here." I said nervously.

"So you're telling me you're not curious at all about my thoughts on your open mic night." he still had his eyebrow raised.

"Well, yes but-"

"You didn't wanna seem too eager. I get it. You totally could've asked though, I wouldn't have thought any less of you." He smiled at me once again, showcasing his perfectly straight, white teeth.

"That actually means a lot to me, thank you. So... what did you think?" I bit my lip nervously.

"Honestly..." he paused for a nerve-wracking amount of time. I tried to keep my poker face on but I was shitting bricks.

"I believe you posses more talent than you think. Not only can you sing very well, but you play the guitar amazingly. I truly believe you can make it big, which is why I'd like you to start sitting in the recording sessions with me. If, that's okay with you."

I sat there in shock, I couldn't believe what I had just heard.

He laughed before speaking again.

"I'm gonna take that as a yes."

I shook my head rapidly and let out a squeal.

" Can I hug you?!" I asked, standing up slowly.