Chapter Twenty-Nine

A/N: I researched as much as I could, but unfortunately couldn’t find much about police procedures in France, so I just did what the good ol’ American movies do, xD.

Zaira- Present

When I looked up after finishing my story, the easiest emotion to pick up on their faces was shock. Dropping my eyes once again, I tightened my hands which had been clasped together for the majority of the story.

“Afterwards I was t-told th-that it’d b-been t-ten days since the p-party. They g-guessed that th-three of th-those had b-been after… after…” I broke off, biting my lip. How was it that I’d already explained the story, but it was still so hard to say? “I s-spent three days in the b-basement.”

I couldn’t look up, but I felt someone sit down next to me and wrap their arms around me in a hug. It was suddenly easier to speak.

“A-after that… I w-was d-diagnosed as unstable… I d-d-didn’t eat… or t-talk… or l-leave my r-room. Th-those d-days l-lasted about a m-month, w-with me c-collapsing several times.”

I squeezed my eyes shut, images of the servants expressions during those days flashed through my mind, along with a whole lot of guilt.

“I w-was h-hospitalized. E-eventually it c-clicked me that M-mama and P-papa wouldn’t be h-happy if I m-met them s-so s-soon. I-it was about six m-months after the incident that I c-came to J-japan.”

“That’s enough,” Kyoya murmured. I was startled to realize that he’d sat down on the opposite side of Honey, the one who’d wrapped his arms around me.

I’d started crying. It became impossible to not know in the following minutes, seeing as the tears started falling faster, a sob bursting out of my chest. Within minutes I had most of the host club holding their arms around me.

Hadn’t I just decided to be stronger?

Why was I still crying?

When I’d finally calmed down, my cheeks had turned blazing red. It was hard not to be embarrassed after breaking down like that. As I turned my eyes to all of them, however, I saw nothing but concern and smiles.

I was once again reminded that I had decided I was safe with them. At the moment, though, the decision was turned around. Would they be safe with me?

“You… you shouldn’t be here…” I murmured, receiving confused look in return. “It’s n-not safe.”

“What do you mean?” Tamaki asked.

I didn’t say anything and Kyoya decided to answer.

“She’s talking about the fact that they’ve only caught one of the men,” he replied slowly. “Otou-san didn’t say it, but it’s easy to guess what the police are thinking. The one with the bigger grudge is the one still free, if he hears that she’s here and ready to testify against the other, then he’ll probably show up.”

“They’re using her as bait?”

This time it was a twin that spoke up. Both of them looked shocked. I was surprised to find that the shock displayed on most of the faces dissolved into something resembling anger within a moment.

“That’s not right!”

“Is that even legal?”

“I agreed to it.”

All eyes centered on me and I dropped my own to the floor.

“What?” Kyoya demanded. It seemed it was his turn to be shocked, although he really shouldn’t have been.