Chapter One

Zaira

I wanted to turn tail and run back onto the plane.

The rational side of me knew that it wouldn’t work. I’d chosen to ride first class on a public plane. The attendends wouldn’t exactly allow me to go back.

My intentions in taking the public plane had been so that I could get used to being around people again. After my recent self-inflicted seclusion, it’d become rather difficult to be around people. However, that didn’t seem to be working, the longer I stood here the harder it became. Taking a deep breath, I forced myself to calm just a little. I desperately gripped onto the handbag I'd brought along and stepped closer to the two large men that had been escorting me since we'd left my home in France hours ago.

"This way, Bello-sama," one of the men said, gesturing towards the front of the airport.

Biting my lip, I simply nodded. My eyes stayed glued on his back as he escorted me across the floor, my mind racing to remember their names. Trivial facts sometimes helped to calm my nerves.

Why did there have to be so many people?

Okada, I remembered, suddenly. Okada Junji was the one who'd spoken. The other man, who'd dropped behind me as the crowd thickened, was... Ono Eisei. Remembering this, I was able to relax a little. They were here to make sure nothing happened.

A few moments later we broke away from the main part of the crowd, the path to the exit becoming clear. My breathing evened out a little, my eyes searching the men's stoic faces for any signs they'd noticed. It was so stupid- my problem with crowds. It was obvious to me after a moment of studying them that neither of the men had noticed, their attention was mainly focused on the very thing that had been causing me a problem.

"O-Okada... -san?" I asked, stumbling over the honorific.

"Yes?"

He didn't turn to look at me, his eyes focused on our path. The door wasn't far away.

"Is... is anyone g-going to m-m-meet us here?"

I felt stupid asking... after all, I'm sure someone had told me at some point what the plans were. Within the past few days, though, people had been saying so many things that not much of it had stuck. Things had gotten busy after it’d been decided I would be moving since I’d finally come out of my… state… I’d been in since my parent’s deaths.

No, now wasn't the time to think about that. It was still hard to even handle when I was alone, let alone in public.

Okada seemed to be thinking about what all to say, or perhaps just wondering why I'd asked. During this time we reached the exit, his body holding the door to the side for me.

"Kyoya-sama was coming out here after school, I believe, so he should be here already. He planned on skipping his club activities for today so that he could escort you to the estate.”

Chewing on my lip, I simply gave him a nod that I'd understood, and stepped past him into the sun. My Japanese wasn't as nice as that of someone who'd grown up here, like Kyoya or, I assumed, Okada, but it was enough to get me by. I easily kept up with conversations, and had no problem with writing. It was the main reason that I would be able to attend school tomorrow.

School... Ouran Academy.  A school for children of the rich and high society folk. It would be different, that was for certain. The only experiences I'd ever had were with private tutors.

My eyes skimmed the cars parked around the exit area, immediately my attention locking on the one that was obviously waiting here for me. It was more expensive than those around it, and the figure standing in front of it was one that I recognized immediately.

The boy's black hair was carefully laid out, I could almost bet there wasn't a strand out of place. His eyes were a soft silvery-gray, covered by glasses. He was still in his uniform- which comprised of a pair of black pants and a blue blazer over a off-white dress shirt.

"Zaira-chan," he said, stepping away from the car door he'd been in front of.

Slight relief flooded through me as I quickly made my way over to the car, noting the fact that while the two men followed, they gave me a slightly larger distance than I'd had the entire time they'd accompanied me.

"Hello, Kyoya-" I cut off, chewing on my lip for a moment as I tried to decide on what to use. "... senpai."

Kyoya's lips twisted up slightly as he turned just enough to open the door for me.

"I hope your flight was well?"

"It was."

"Good, your belongings have already arrived and been put away in the manner that you'd requested. Once we get back you'll be able to rest if you'd like, although dinner isn't too far off."

As he spoke, I took his hint and climbed into the car. My eyes took in every detail as I moved over enough to give him room to slid in next to me and shut the door. Once I was buckled, I sat my bag on my lap, my fingers squeezing the handle hard enough to turn the knuckles white.

"Thank-you, and I think I'll go ahead and rest."

"I thought you might," he replied, then turned his attention to the driver as he gave the instructions to start the drive. "Welcome to Japan."

Japan... maybe this would be the change I needed to move on. A different sort of adventure than the kind I’d already experienced, hopefully one that would make me be able to sleep at night.

A/N: Well, if you’re reading this you’ve started Shadow King’s Princess! Funny enough, this was my first attempt at a fanfiction. I hope you enjoy! And since I’m editing I’d love it if you comment on anything that seems off, it’ll help me a lot!