Chapter Twenty-Six

Zaira

Ono was already outside when I exited the apartment, much to my relief. I didn’t relish the idea of waiting for him while wondering what exactly this could be about. My experience with these sort of matters was that secrets when it came to the Ootori’s never ended up being something. The last time something happened involving Mr. Ootori, Kyoya and I’s engagement had been announced.

I froze at the bottom of the apartment’s staircase and recieved a questioning look from Ono.

What if Mr. Ootori wanted to move the wedding?

He wouldn’t do that, right?

I wasn’t even sixteen yet. That was still three months away. Was it even legal for someone my age to get married? I barely noticed that I’d started to shake.

“Bello-sama?”

Jolted into action, I quickly moved so that I could take my seat in the vehicle, seeing as Ono had already opened the car door. The moment that he’d closed the door, I pulled my phone from my pocket and began searching for a way to access the internet. Not for the first time, I was grateful that Kyoya had, had the phone programed in French. When I had finally managed to get it onto the internet, I searched for some time before finding the age.

Sixteen, it was illegal for a female to get married under the age of sixteen in Japan, even with parental concent.

If it wasn’t a wedding, then what could it be?

I started chewing on my lip again as I turned the idea over in my mind. Just in case what I’d learned was wrong, I leaned forward, placing my phone beside me on the car seat.

“Ono-san?” I called out, causing him to glance in the rearview mirror. I was quite thankful that I’d chosen to leave the window between the front and the back seat down at all times.

After all, I wasn’t about to keep myself from seeing who was driving me. Not after…

I shook my head, casting away the thoughts and focusing on the matter on hand.

“Ono is fine, Bello-sama,” he replied, his expression unchanging. “What is it?”

I hesitated, then plowed on with my question.

“W-what’s the l-legal age t-to get m-married in J-Japan?” I managed to get out, my  nerves making me stutter more than I had done in a while. “E-even with g-guardian’s c-c-consent.”

Ono frowned, focusing on the road for a few moments as he thought the question over. He shrugged upon coming to a decision.

“Sixteen, I believe, Bello-sama. I’m not that certain, my own children are far too young for me to have thought about it.”

I immediately pushed away my nervousness and grasped onto the topic he’d offered to me.

“You have ch-children?”

A faint smile appeared on his face, something had barely ever seen.

“Twins,” he said. “Two boys. They’ve just turned three.”

I tilted my head as I tried to imagine Ono with children. He was so stoic that it was hard to imagine. I realized with some embarressment that it was equal to trying to imagine Kyoya with children. That thought was instantly locked away.

“H-how old are you?” I asked.

I could see how he frowned in the mirror- I imagine that the conversation wasn’t one he’d imagined having with me. Honestly, he probably didn’t expect to have any conversations with me at all. I didn’t talk much, and neither did he. I think that’s why he’d ended up being my permentant driver shortly after I’d arrived.