Chapter Twenty-Three

Zaira

That week was one of the first times that I completely regretted my choice to attend a school instead of choosing to be home-schooled like I was in France. It was bad enough when I wanted to avoid one of the students at school who I had regular contact with, at least he understood and had basically agreed to it. When I needed to avoid two, basically three people, however, things became slightly more difficult.

Kyoya didn’t seem to notice that I was trying to avoid him. Something that was more difficult than I thought it would be. Although, perhaps he did notice and that’s why it was so hard. If he had, he didn’t say anything.

Ichiro on the other hand, knew that I was trying to avoid him, and why, but his sister didn’t seem to understand.

“Are you coming today?”

Tearing my eyes away from the textbook which had suddenly become more interesting than this conversation, I gave Miwa a stiff shake of my head. She scowled, studying me for a few moments without saying a word. Much as she had done the day of the incident, she was leaning against the doorframe of the classroom, only this time she had her arms crossed over her chest and seemed to be in a noticeably bad mood.

“Why?” she demanded. “You know how hard it is to deal with him? He’s all mopey one moment then all happy the next. It’s like he’s on drugs.”

I ducked my head, paying attention to the books I’d yet to finish stacking for me to take home with me. They were a convenient excuse to ask to have my supper brought to my room. If I was studying I wouldn’t have to eat with everyone else.

“Uh, hello? Zaira-chan?”

“H-he knows I’m n-not c-coming,” I muttered.

Miwa snorted, then sighed, not bothering to change positions. Instead I caught sight of her narrowing her eyes when I glanced in her direction- a sight which caused me to quickly look back at my books.

“Why?”

I decided then that my best choice at this moment would be to escape the conversation. I had no answers to give her that would do either of us any good. I honestly was doing my best to keep from having to think about it, so that probably wouldn’t change any time soon.

“Ono-san is probably waiting for me.”

Gathering all of my things into my arms, I swiftly made my way towards where she was standing in the doorway. She glared at me for a moment before moving out of the way.

“I’ll be here tomorrow, too,” she commented. “Bring your violin to school because you’re coming to practice.”

I didn’t bother to respond as I quickly escaped and made my way down the hall. Just as I turned the corner that would take me to the front of the school, I ran smack into someone else. My books ended up scattered all over the floor as I fell backwards. Strong hands kept me from hitting the ground and pulled me back to my feet. A sinking feeling started to form as I looked up to see who caught me.

It wasn’t as bad as it could have been.

“Zaira!” Tamaki greeted, an apologetic look on his face. “Sorry about that, I’m running a bit late. Are you okay?”

Even as he asked, his eyes swept over me, as he were checking for any damage.

“I’m f-fine,” I mumbled, dropping my eyes in embarrassment.

A second later he released my arms and stepped back, seemingly satisfied with my response. When I managed to suppress the blush that had been threatening my cheeks, I looked up to find him regarding me with a rather happy grin. I gave him a questioning look, which only made his grin grow larger.