Chapter Six

A/N: The dress on the side is the one described within the chapter.

"I want to go."

Kyoya paused, one hand poised with chopsticks over his plate. His eyes flickered to me, causing my breath to catch in my throat. My nerves were running haywire, trying to figure out how to make him understand. When I looked into those steely eyes, however, there wasn't anything readable about them.

"Why?" he asked, his tone even.

"Because I was invited."

His hand went back to picking up something off his plate. I didn't bother to pay attention to what it was.

"Very well."

Surprise shot through me. He was agreeing? I'd been prepared for an argument. Why was he giving in so easily?

"I've thought about this, as long as you can manage to not let our little secret arrangement be discovered, becoming friends with them, or simply talking to them from time to time, both of these things are fine. After all, it will be beneficial in the long run, when things are revealed."

Relief flooded through me. He wasn't mad. When he'd talked about punishments for talking with the twins after I arrived... I guess... he hadn't been serious. Although that was certainly out of character for Kyoya...

"Tomorrow, after club activities, I'll have your driver bring you to meet me. We'll shop for a dress, then, seeing as this is short notice," he continued.

"You... you d-don't have to...."

A smirk found his lips as Kyoya sat down his chopsticks, intertwined his fingers, and rested his head on top of them.

"Can you give me a reason I can't buy a dress for you?"

My cheeks burned, causing me to drop my eyes and stare at my dinner plate. Unfortunately, he had a point. After all... everything had already been decided. It wasn't like this wouldn't become a common occurrence a year from now.

"I... I..."

"Well?"

"...no."

"Good," he said, drawing my eyes back up to him. From the expression on his face it was easy to guess that he was pleased to be back in control of things. "Now, eat."

I grimaced, looking at the plate again. My stomach both growled and churned at the same time. It was as if it was both yearning for and rejecting the idea of the food.

"Zaira-chan," Kyoya muttered. His tone was a warning.

I bit my lip, picking up a bite and placing it in my mouth. I could feel his eyes on me as I slowly chewed and swallowed.

"The reports said that you'd recovered from your problems following your parents death," he said after a moment.

I flinched.

"I'm fine. I'm just not hungry."

"Unfortunately, you seem to be like that a lot recently. I couldn't help but notice that if Honey-senpai hadn't given you a bite of cake, you wouldn't have eaten anything at lunch. You didn't even approach line to buy something."

"I-I was distracted by your friends."

"Then at breakfast-"

"Please excuse me," I managed, my hands shaking as I pushed myself away from the table. "I-I suddenly feel rather f-faint. I think I'll r-retire to my room."