Twenty-Five

Florencia places a hand on her swollen stomach, "How much longer will this last? I feel as if I am dying."

The Queen, Mary, smiled and patted her friend's arm, "I know the struggle. I thought I was to die with Ross. The pain is worth the wait, however."

Florencia smiled. Jason had taken her to England merely a year ago. Within a few months, they married. Jason had accepted a high position in the English court and managed to get an expensive estate, which had been once Thomas Drake's. Florencia has busied herself with redecorating and ordering servants around until she had received the news; they were expecting.

After that, Florencia spent her days entertaining the Queen and eating small finger sandwiches.

She did not mind, but she missed her days of being busy.

"Mateo seems to be fitting in very nicely with Ross." Mary commented as she gestured towards the two boys.

Florencia smiled at the young boy, who they had taken for Spain at Jason's request. After his mother's death, he had refused to speak a word. He had become a silent child. Once he was introduced into the royal court, however, he became fast friends with Edward and Mary's eldest son, Ross.

Ever since then, the young boy had never stopped talking.

"I am glad we did not leave him in Spain. Jason was not sure whether it would be good for the boy to be separated from his brother." Florencia said as she looked back at Mary.

"Why is it you did not bring the other?" Mary asked, confusion spreading over her face.

Florencia swallowed her emotions as she thought about Esteban, who had only been three when they had left. "We left immediately as there was an outbreak of the plague. We did not know until... until Esteban became sick. When he died... Things got bad and we had to leave."

"Oh, how awful! I could not imagine losing a child, especially like that. Ross means the world to me." Mary whispered.

Florencia nodded. It had been heartbreaking to see such a young child pass in such a horrific way. It haunted her for years.

Jason walked into the room with a smile on his face, his eyes trained on her.

She stood and walked over to him, melting into his arms, "How was the hunt?"

"Positively boring. I should have stayed with the ladies instead of hunting with Edward." Jason said.

"Oh, I understand this. Hunting with Edward is worse than pulling teeth. He took me once when we were courting and I nearly fell asleep. I can imagine actually hunting with him." Mary mumbled as she shook her head.

Florencia grinned, "Don't tell me your husband bores you."

Mary gave her a look, "Oh, only during certain times which happens to be most of the time. But in the bedroom..." Mary wiggled her eyebrows.

"Is that a ladylike thing to talk about?" Florencia whispered, feeling nervous about the company amongst them.

Mary giggled, "Absolutely not, but I am their Queen. No one will dare call me out."

Jason coughed, trying to clear up the conversation. He cupped Florencia's head and tilted, whispering, "What happens in our bed, stays in our bed, yes?"

Florencia grinned, "How do the English say— a beast in the bed?"

Jason threw his hands up in the air, "I give up."

Mary giggled, shaking her head in dismay. Jason left the room, leaving two of them alone.
Mary leaned forward and placed a hand on Florencia's arm, "How are you feeling?"

Florencia shrugged and leaned back in the loveseat, "Nauseated, piggish, tired but I'm surviving."

Mary shook her head, "About her."

Florencia closed her eyes, "It's fine."

"You has said you regretted the decision to make her die. You had said if kept you up at night." Mary whispered.

She was right. Florencia still regretted everything that had happened the day of the Spanish revolution. The deaths, the blood, the horror.

"I-I... We had to chose whether to spare the people or Roseanne. Roseanne... As you know, you cannot have two Queens. If we had left two Queens Alice, there would have been a war. Emilia against Roseanne and... We did not release Emilia to start a war. We wanted peace for the nation. We wanted a better life, one free of poverty and starvation and taxes. As much as I respected Roseanne..."

Mary shook her head, "I know. I loved her too, as she was my sister, but Roseanne was ruthless and selfish. She was not Queen material. She wanted lovers and jewels and money and attention. That's not what a country needs."

"I did not want to watch. Alvaro made me go. She looked right at me as she... as it left her. The blood went all over my dress." Florencia continued, squeezing her eyes shut.

"I know, and it's not your fault. Roseanne made her decision and she died for it. She did not have to sleep with another man. If she valued her life, she would have obeyed." Mary said, giving her a small smile.

"I know. I just feel bad because immediately after her death, I married her lover." Florencia said.

Mary stood, brushing her gown off, "Well, us ladies have to do what we do to survive. Jason is a good man, a man who will take risk to take care of you."

Florencia gave a short curtsy as Mary began to take her leave, giving Florencia a short wink, "And besides, you gotta work to keep the beast in the bed."

~~~~

Florencia ran her hand over her belly. She had curled up by the fireplace with a good book to put herself in a relaxed state.

When the door opened, Jason immediately walked over to her and cupped her face, "You do know I love you, right?"

Florencia frowned at him, "What did you do."

Jason shook his head, "Nothing at all. I just..."

Tears started to fall from his nose. He took in a deep, shaky breath, "Lady Whitworth died during child birth, today. I just could not help but think about losing you. I could not bare it."

Florencia shook her head, "You should not think like that, my love. It will only hurt you more. Think about our future."

"Our son, Leith, will your dark curls and the purest blue eyes." Jason whispered, giving her a smile.

"Or our daughter Isabel, with light hair and dark eyes." She continued.

Jason smiled, "And what a happy life we would give them."

"Yes, and we would grow old together and live in our home. We would watch as our children got married and brought their children home to us. Maybe I will even let you get one of those smelly hunting dogs."

The two of them burst out laughing. It was the only thing that kept them sane— their happiness.

Jason got down on his knees and kissed her belly, "I love you, baby, almost as much as I love your mother."

Florencia tried to keep the tears in as she looked down at him, "And I love you too."