Six

Edward's POV

Banging came from his door, constant and loud. His headache was also constant and loud.

He didn't want to have to get up until way after the sun had come up, but with the door making a hideous noise, Edward was definitely up.

He rolled out of his bed and stumbled towards the door, throwing it open, "What could you possibly want at this ungodly hour?"

There, all proud like he always was, was the King himself, his arms crossed rightly over his wide chest. "We have some unfinished business to attend to, Edward."

Edward sighed and rubbed his head, "My lord, I am both drunk and tired. You must understand that I am still recovering from my days of riding and from a night of celebrating. I also am a little afraid to leave my wife. So, please understand that I need our business needs to wait until after breakfast."

The King did not smile. He simple stood there and stood in the doorway.

His wife, Mary, had roused from the bed by then and came to his side, peering over his shoulder.

"Edward, darling, what on earth is going on?" She asked.

Edward never took his eyes off of the King as he replied to her, "Our King has requested an audience with me."

"Oh."

"I expect to see you before breakfast, Edward. I can give you a few more ..." he eyed Mary up and down, "hours of rest. Nothing more. I can not extend to you such a generosity as I do the rest of Court."

Edward scoffed, "I thank you, my lord. Now, if you excuse me, I think you have awoken my son." He slammed the door shut and pressed his back to the door.

Mary crossed her own arms and glared at him, "Edward, what on earth was that? I know you do not like your father—"

Edward laughed, "That man, Mary, is not my father. Nor will he ever be my father." He walked over to the cradle and peered over the side at his sleeping son.

"But, as I was saying, he is still our King and I will not," she stepped closer and placed a hand on his unshaven cheek, "can not risk losing the man I love. I want our son to grow up with a father. With his father because that is what he deserves."

Edward looked down at his son who slept peaceful within the comfort of his bed. He never wanted to leave his son or his wife but he knew that if he didn't get away from Court, he and his family would have be disgraced and exiled.

He only wanted what was best for his family.

"I worry about mother." He said, pulling Mary to his side.

"I do too. The other night, she and his lordship had a fight and I swear your mother almost killed herself. She can barely handle the stress from him anymore."

Edward sighed, "My mother has been like that since the day I lost my father. Lady Bridget was the one who raised Roseanne and Henry, not my mother. The only reason mother paid attention to me was because of the memories between my father and I."

Mary placed a hand on his face, "Edward, maybe it's time we left court. We could take your sister with us too, or find her a husband."

"No, absolutely not. We are staying here for the time being and I will not give my sister away into a marriage that is doomed to fail." Edward said.

Ever since her birth, he had made it is personal goal to keep Roseanne safe at all cost. Night and day, until he left, he made sure that everything she need was right at her feet. When he left, he assigned his best friend, Jason, to watch her in his place.

"Doomed to fail? I was her age when we married, Edward. Is our marriage doomed to fail?" Mary asked, her face contorting with concern.

Edward kissed her forehead, "My dove, our love was written in the stars. We are impossible to defeat. We will always be together, no matter what."

Mary smiled, "Well I am glad you chose to come home when you did. I have news."

Edward smiled, "This news is no longer news. Jason told me last night about our little one."

Mary stood, "Oh that man! He always spoils my fun!"

Edward laughed, "Oh, relax woman. He gave you the first time to announce our child. Now it is his turn."

"It's my child growing inside of me. It should always be my turn!" She argued, sitting back on his lap.

Edward placed his hands on her hips and kissed her softly, "Mary, I don't care who tells me as long as I have the child safe. Now, why don't you and I get some more rest before the young one wakes up?"

Mary smiled, "I'm so glad you are home."

Edward smiled back, "Me too, dove, me too."
~~

Edward did his best to avoid his majesty but somehow, as if by fate, he met him in the hall on the way to breakfast.

"You were not suppose to come back for another month, Edward." The King accused, grabbing his arm.

Edward jerked arm away and glared at him, "My child needs his father in his life. I know you don't understand that due to your lack of children but my wife and child come first. My father would have understood that."

The king's face burned with anger, "I don't give a damn who your father was because I will always be your father."

Edward stood up straighter and got closer to the King's face, "My father died on the battlefield, my lord. My father wasn't a coward—he will never be you."

Edward turned around to storm off when he was pulled back and slammed against the wall, "You listen to me you rat," the King seethed, the alcohol rolling off his breath and curling inside of Edward's nose, "You watch how you talk to me inside my home or I'll make sure your son has no title, no money and no father. I can declare illegitimate with a snap of my fingers"

Edward pushed him back, his anger dangerously boiling, "Don't you ever, ever threaten my son or I will slice you into pieces." He started to walk away but turned quickly on his heel to put in the last word, "I don't care if I am declared illegitimate, so go ahead, your majesty. I'm sure the Vatican already knows who my true father is."

"I guess I'll just have to sell your sister to the Spaniard then. If nothing else will convince you to behave and disappear in my court, then maybe her selling will." The King spat, smiling smugly back at Edward.

And his heart stopped.