Seventeen

For the first time in many months, Roseanne was able to make her way downstairs and take dinner with her husband and her guest. There was to be a ball in honor of Esteban's birth and she, of course, was expected to make an appearance.

She also hoped to be allowed to hold her son for the first time, but that seemed like a far stretch.

"Are you ready for your first real moment as a Queen, malady?" A servant asked, tightening the strings on her dress.

"Yes. I am ready to see how my son is doing." Roseanne said with a small smile.

The servant frowned, "You have not seen your son?"

"I have not. Alvaro was concerned of my health." She replied, watching as the servant shook her head.

"That's funny. Queen Mia was allowed to hold her child the moment he was born. Prince Stefan was a true joy to the kingdom, just as Esteban will be."

Roseanne smoothed her dress in the mirror and turned, "The King was married before?"

The servant girl nodded vigorously, "Oh, yes. Queen Mia had the King wrapped around her finger. She was absolutely charming and she was extremely peaceful. The young prince was just another ounce of joy in our kingdom until the Queen passed."

"Oh, what happened?" Roseanne asked.

The girl pursed her lips, "A hunting accident."

The servant rash reply gave Roseanne enough leeway to have suspicion. She knew Alvaro could be a dangerous man, especially if you were on the wrong side of his emotions— but murder? Was he really capable of murder?

A knock at the door brought Roseanne's mind out of the gutter. The nursemaid, who had whisked her son out of her sight so quickly, brought in a pure white blanket, "The King has given me permission to let you hold the Prince."

Roseanne rushed forward to hold her son, "Esteban, my darling. Mama finally gets to hold you, my sweet prince." She cooed as she brushed his dark curls.

The child's small fingers wrapped around hers as he pulled them towards his mouth. Roseanne looked up at he nursemaid, "When was he last fed? Has he been properly looked after?"

The nursemaid gave her a curt nod, "Everything is well with the child, your majesty. The King visits at least twice a day to ensure his health."

Roseanne scoffed, "Of course he does. He doesn't want mommy to see her baby, does she Este?"

The child grunted his response and wiggles closer to her bosom. Roseanne carefully made her way to sit on the bed so that she could properly hold the child.

She was not accustomed to holding children as she was the youngest of her family. Mary had rarely let her hold Ross, Roseanne's nephew, but a few times. It was much different, however, holding her own child. The immense love she felt for the child was nearly unbearable. She never wanted Esteban to leave her arms again.

"It's alright, my darling. Mommy's here now and she's not going to leave you."

~~~~

They had baptized Esteban under the Holy Roman Catholic Church, as insisted by the King.

Afterwards, after Esteban had fallen asleep in her arms and then whisked away to his cradle,
Roseanne kept herself busy by greeting the guest.