Ten

Edward nodded at Jason in thanks as he walked into the dungeon's hall. He had never seen the conditions of the dungeon for it had never been important to him.

At least, until his mother was imprisoned within the walls.

"She is doing just fine down here. She's been talking everyone's ear off ever since she came out of her fit about the King. Even the prisoners love her. Makes sense, though, since she is their Queen. She's right here, Edward." Jason said as he lead Edward to his mother's cell.

Edward peered into the small hole in the door and watched his mother walk to him with a large grin, "My little baby!"

"Mama." He croaked as he looked her over.

Her hair was still in her usual dark bun. Her skin was slightly spotted with dirt and blood but that wasn't the worst of her looks.

She looked very thin without her usual clothing.

"Edward, I am glad you came to see me." His mother said as her finger brushed his fingertips.

Edward's heart swelled at the sight of her inside of the dungeon. He had never seen her this low and this hurt.

"I will not let that bastard hurt you, Mama." Edward vowed.

"I am afraid it is to late for me, daring. I need you to do something for me, though." She said, with a small smile on her face, "Do not blame the King. He isn't that same man as he was when we married. Losing loved ones is how you may corrupt a man. He lost his wife and his best friend in one whole day. Alcohol became the only way he could live with himself. Maybe my death will bring him to a realization of just how horrible he has become. There was something else I needed you to do, though."

"Anything."

"Take your wife, take Ross, take my grandchild, take Bridget and take Roseanne far away. Go to my home country. My brother will protect you. Stay away from England for you have nothing more here. Find someone more suitable for Roseanne. Bridget will make a grand governess if she offers. If not, let her be."

"Mama, what about you? Perhaps your brother and I could help—"

His mother shook her head, "No, I have made peace with this world. I do not want anyone else to die trying to save me. That is how I lost your father and that was the single worst mistake of my life. The second mistake was marrying that bastard!"

Edward swallowed down the sadness swimming up his throat, "Yes, Mama."

"You were always my good child." She mused, "Such a beautiful baby, but you were such a pain to bring into this world. Your father nearly lost me and you that night."

"I know, you've told me nearly a hundred times." Edward choked out.

"You look just like him, you know. I think you are more of a gentleman than he was, though. He had a mighty temper. Not as bad as the King but I suppose that is what happens when you indulge in the drink." She continued.

"Edward, "Jason hissed, peeking around the corner, "I cannot do this much longer."

Edward nodded and looked back at his mother, "I do not think I can come back. This may be the last time I see you."