Twenty-One

Florencia has always been the one girl who wasn't selfish. She had spent her life at her mother's side, helping her in the kitchen and through her pains.

Therefore, it was only natural for her to want to help Jason.

She could plainly see the hurt reflected on his face as he passed the Queen. He had once loved her, during his first trip here and Florencia had to set aside her own feelings to help him be with the Queen.

When he left, she had to convince herself that they weren't meant to be. She had better things to do then to love a knight. She was just a servant girl.

And yet, when those blue eyes haunted her dreams all night, she yearned for his love.

The day Jason returned to the Spanish court was the best day of her sixteen years of life.

She had been rolling the bread dough, as her mamá had taught her, and preparing the King's dinner when two hands covered her eyes.

"Marcelo, I swear, if that's you I will ring your insides out!" She snapped at the man behind her.

The hands removed themselves and she spun to look at him, "Jason?"

"Hello, Florencia." He said, quietly, with a small smile glued to his face.

She threw her hands around his neck, inhaling his scent, "I missed you!"

Jason pulled her away, "Where's your mama? I missed her."

Florencia looked down at her scuffed shoes, "Mama caught the sweating sickness a few months back."

Jason shook his head, "That's awful. She did not deserve to die. But at least you didn't catch, eh?"

Florencia gave him a small smile of gratitude. She didn't like to seem him look hurt. His face was meant for happiness, not the opposite.

All she wanted to do was make him happy, even if it meant losing him forever.

"Florencia, are you okay?" Jason asked, tapping her shoulder.

She looked up at him, contemplating whether she should tell the truth or not. "Just fine."

~~~~

Jason sat at the left hand side of the King, doing his best not to try to kill him as he gloated about his accomplishments.

These past few years had taken a major toll on the King. He was gaining weight. He was  greying and starting to develop dark circles under his soulless, black eyes.

Roseanne did not seem to notice. She kept to herself throughout the dinner, gingerly sipping at her wine and occasionally touching her food.

No matter how hard her tried, he couldn't keep his eyes off of her. The beautiful blue orbs avoided his gaze. She would occasionally tuck her red curls behind her ear, trying to hide the small smile threatening to burst through.

"We have developed a new trade route to the indies just last week. Spain is hoping to improve our trading exports substantially by the end of this year."'Alvaro said as he casually laid back in his chair. Jason glanced back at him and watched as Florencia stepped into the picture. She poured some substance into his cup.

"Thank you." The King whispered as his fingers brushed the tips of her own.

Jason felt himself swell up in anger as he watched Florencia simply walk away.

He didn't see how she could just ignore something like that. She had let Alvaro touch her in front of his own wife. It was unfair to Roseanne, though she didn't seem to see it happen.

"My lord, may I be excused for the night. I fear I am feeling quite ill." Roseanne said, as she set down her spoon.

Alvaro waved her away, as if she was a measly serving girl, "We should all retire. I fear we will exhaust our conversation topics if we stay up to long."

Jason couldn't agree more. They hadn't gotten past Alvaro's bragging, much less had an actual conversation.

The trio parted ways.

Jason made sure to follow after Roseanne. He knew she was hurting. He knew she would not be okay by herself.

"Please stop following me." Roseanne snapped, as she finally realized that the footsteps matching hers weren't that of her ladies.

"You seem upset." Jason commented.

"I am an adult now, Jason. I don't need a babysitter... for myself."

Jason watched as Roseanne snatched her skirts up angrily and disappeared in the hall's corridor.

~~~~~

The words stung in her chest as they reverberated. Roseanne wasn't even sure if the words had been said but after a second visit to the topic, the words were exact.

"My precious rose."

Those three words had allowed Roseanne to fall in love with Alvaro in the first place. It was those words that made her accept his proposal.

The words continued to ring in her head as he heart cracked in her chest.

It was true that Alvaro had not been the best husband to her these past years, but she couldn't care less. Her face her two beautiful child, who she loved very dearly. He gave her a position in the world, money, jewels— everything she could ask for.

The night she had spent with Jason tore at her greatly. She knew that if Alvaro found out, he would be heartbroken which, thus, made her her heartbroken. But she couldn't bring herself to regret it.

A small, sweet giggle brought Roseanne's attention back to the courtyard bellow her.

There stood the maid girl, Florencia, dressed in a brightly colored dress, spinning around in Alvaro's arms.

"I cannot tell you how beautiful that dress suits you, my beautiful rose." He said, just loud enough for her to hear.

She wasn't sure if he knew she could hear them, or if he even knew she was there, but she felt hurt by him and his actions.

She turned sharply on her heel and sought out the nearest maid walking the halls, "Will you bring my something to drink?"

The maid nodded sharply and rushed off to find her something.

Roseanne needed ale, something to take her mind off of the event, and if that didn't work, she knew exactly who to find.