Twenty-Three

She laid in his arms afterwards, a feeling she had never experienced. His warm skin against hers let her feel protected and loved. His arms were tucked protectively around her bare skin.

It had been so long since she had been loved by anyone. Or at least, that was how she felt. Roseanne wished she had known about Jason's love for her. Had she known just how much Jason cared for her, she would not have suffered so long with Alvaro.

She might have not even married him.

"Jason?" She asked, running her thumb across his lips.

Jason kissed the pad of her thumb, "What is it, darling?"

"Can we stay like this forever? In my bed, just me and you, with the stars shinning above us?"

Jason smiled down at her, "Anything for you, my darling."

Roseanne let herself settle back into his embrace and slowly fall asleep.

She dreamt of another life— one where she lived in a small cottage, next to the glistening river with Jason and two, frisky little children. One, the oldest, had flaming red curls and a temper just as her own. The other was a golden haired child with the bluest eyes on the face of the earth.

Never in her life had Roseanne get more content.

Everything was perfect.

She realized that everything she had now, besides her children, was worthless. She didn't need them, simply happiness. The jewels and the crown only made her more miserable as the days went by. What she needed was love.

And the only type of love she wanted was Jason's.

~~~~~~

Jason woke with a start as the door slammed open and a dozen guards swarmed into the room.

His heart stopped.

His arm tightened around Roseanne's once sleeping form and watched as the King waltzed in.

By then, Roseanne had sat up, a look of shock plastered on her beautiful face. Her hand clutched the blankets the her chest.

His heart was pounding in his chest, partly out of anger and partly out of fear.

Roseanne stood, pulling the blankets with her and fell to her knees, "Please, your majesty, you must understand—"

The King came over to the side of the bed and held Roseanne's face in his hand, "Take him. I want him gone by the morning."

Three guards gripped his arm and hoisted him out of bed, forcing him on to his knees, "Sir Falmouth, you are under arrest for the intentional harm of her Majesty Queen Rose. You will be held within the castle until the day of your execution."

Roseanne scrambled away from Alvaro, "You bastard! You scheming, insolent, ruthless bastard! You have your whores and your servant girls but you can't let me have one lover? I wish you to hell!"

Her hand connected with his face, in a split second.

The sound reverberated around the room, earning a moment of silent from all who inhabited the room.

Jason's heart sank as he watched Roseanne bring her hand back to her chest. Her body was shaking uncontrollably. She said not a word but met eyes with Jason. Tears where welled up in both her eyes and his own, for he knew that this would be the end for both of them.

"Take him out!" Alvaro hissed, his eyes narrowing at his wife.

Jason's world stopped as the guards brought him to his feet and started to drag him away. He desperately dug his feet into the door, trying anything to stop them from taking him away.