Day One: You Brought It Upon Yourself

still day one

I walked downstairs and Vincent stumbled down after me, almost tripping over Kendal's bag. He cursed, and then looked up to see my mother standing there, arms folded, frowning. Sheepishly, he grinned. "Sorry!"

"That's alright, Vincent." 

"Right mom," I said, heaving my bag over my shoulders. "We're going."

"Are you catching the bus then?" 

Aw, my mothers ability to remember when I am out of gas or not never fails to remind me that she has always been a pretty dotting mom. Even if like this morning, she is a little grumpy. I shook my head, and eyed up my brothers toast. "Nope, I'm driving in."

"But I thought-"

"I know," I interrupted. "Vincent bought my gas for me." 

"Oh." My mother pursed her lips, and looked sternly at Vincent. "That's nice. Considering he woke up the whole household this morning. Tell me, Vincent... what part of partying on a school night is fun?"

Vincent went bright red and looked at me, pleading with his eyes for help. I sniggered. I wasn't going to help him, after all, he had woken me up too. Vincent stammered. "Oh... uh." 

"I hope it won't become a regular occurrence." 

"No!" Vincent immediately replied. "I won't make a habit of it, I promise. It's just... it was a pre-planned party. I got forced to go by my friends."

My mom wasn't buying it. "But," she tapped her foot against the floor, "you and Marisol have the same friends. She didn't go, and neither did Kendal." 

"Yeah, but boys are boys..." He laughed nervously. "They talked me into it. It was during track. The girls don't run. Not with us, anyway." 

"Well." My mother sighed, looking bored. "It was very irresponsible. Don't make a habit of it." 

"I won't." Vincent murmured, looking towards the ground. "I'm sorry I woke you up."

"That's alright, Vincent. Now, you two better get to school." 

"Yes mom," I rolled my eyes as Vincent grumbled. He didn't want to go, but I told him that he had to tell my mom we were going in. "School sucks." 

"You go to school, Marisol, because you need a good future. You can only get a good future-"

"-If you go to school," Kendal finished, rolling her eyes. She strolled into the room wearing a different outfit than in my dream, but still, dressed like she wanted to impress someone at school. Hopefully it wasn't Matthew. I didn't scowl her, though, I was too busy concentrating on what my mother said. Future, was the word that got me. My neck began to itch and my hands started sweating. Future? Did I have a future? Was I actually alive right now? I had no idea.

Kendal turned towards me, stealing some toast. "Hey, are you getting the bus?" 

I paled. "Uh, no." I grabbed my bag and headed for the door, dragging Vincent along with me. 

"Hey," Vincent said, a little delicately. He must be feeling nauseated still. "Slow down." 

"No. I want to get out of here." Some people are good at facing their problems, you know. They stand up for what they believe in and never ran away. They can face their problems. Unlike myself just then. It only took my mother to say one word for me to freak out and leave. I didn't know how to react, so instead of masking the fear that ran through me at the word, I ran away. 

"Okay." Vincent said quietly. 

"Good." I unlocked the car and got in. Vincent slammed the passenger side, and I tightened my hands around the steering wheel. 

"So," he sighed. 

I turned to face him, noticing that his hair was still sticking up. "So." 

"We're just going to sit here?" 

"No."

"But we're not going to school..."

"No," I repeated. 

"Then what are we going to do?"

I turned to face the front, started up the ignition, and put the music on. If my future really was only going to last today, I had to make the most of it. If it wasn't, and I could only wake up tomorrow, I would laugh about it. But right now, my mind is wondering what is real and what is not. Still, I didn't have time to wait and see. 

I looked at my boyfriend from the corner of my eye, pulling my mouth back over my teeth in a cunning grin. "Living."