Day Two: Lunch Time

No matter how many times it’s going to be Friday, I’m hungry

                  The cafeteria was packed full of people. I didn’t remember it being this full before. Either that, or I wasn’t actually paying attention. Sure, I ate lunch here every day, but I always made it late. I was usually the last out of the pool, and only got to lunch after everyone floated out…I guess. I seem to be guessing a lot of things these days. Or day – seen so this one was never ending.

                  I only made it into the cafeteria on time today because I was so busy trying to beat Russell in swimming that I got out of the pool and showered before she’d even finished her lap and grabbed her towel. I’d gotten out of there quickly, too, because she’d given me a hard glare in the changing room, and the last thing I wanted right now was a fight. It wasn’t worth it, anyway. What was the point? If I was dead, she would get my scholarship, and if I was just in a surreal dream instead, when I wake up, she wouldn’t remember it. I’d just save it for this evening, when I swim in front of the scout. All my energy will be channeled into that.

                  Swimming. There was nothing wrong with swimming. I put one arm in front of the other, I breathed in when my head turned towards the surface, I swam one way, I kept going forward, I kept living. The cafeteria, on the other hand, had lots wrong with it. There were people here I liked, people I didn’t, but there were people I didn’t even know, or hadn’t noticed before. I didn’t know the guy sitting by himself in the corner, or the girl trying to flirt with a teacher. I didn’t know half these people. Would I ever get to know them? Would I ever know their names? I breathe the same air as them – and have done for four years – so why do I not know some of their names? Why are some of the people foreign to me?

                  It was a shame that some people, we didn’t have a second for, and others we had a lifetime for. But there are also people who have hours of our time that don’t deserve a single second. And one of those people are Matthew, even if he is Vincent’s best friend. My time, and Vincent’s for that matter, would have been better suited with the smart guy who aced all his tests instead of Matthew. It was a shame Matthew was the way he was, I didn’t see his life taking him very far if he continued to make everything into a joke. And today’s punch line was a girl called Madeline George, who’d spilt her food on the table and nearly slipped on the liquid that had slipped to the floor. He was laughing at her.

                  I slammed my tray of lunch down on the table, and he stopped looking to glare at me. Vincent also looked up, sheepishly, winced and went back to eating an apple. Apparently, he hadn’t found Madeline’s accident amusing, either.

                  “What’s wrong, Marisol?” Matthew asked, raising his brow. “Can’t you lighten up?”

                  “I’d only laugh if that happened to you.”

                  “Shame I’m not a klutz.”

                  “Isn’t it?” I replied. Matthew was smirking at me, but I was no longer paying attention to him. Behind him, wearing less than I would have liked, in order to impress someone, was my sister Kendal. I hoped, if I really was dead, that she’d go to my funeral, and lay down a flower. On the way home, I imagined that she’d stop at a grocery store to pick up some milk, and bump into one of the guys here that she, too, didn’t know existed. I hoped that she’d fall in love, and have children, and she’d make my parents proud, because she’ll grow into a beautiful young woman. If I wasn’t dead, I hope that I’ll get to see that happen. I know whatever she’ll become, she’ll make me proud, because she’ll grow up, and grow out of the habit of trying to impress people that don’t deserve it.