Day Four - Life Has a Funny Way of Messing Up Life

It’s Friday, Friday, my cars broke down on Friday

Sixteen minutes after my sister left the room, Vincent and I walked out, dressed, refreshed, and with all our belongings for the day. He always kept a spare track uniform in my draw, and I had folded up a clean towel to put in my tote. We made our way down the stairs. I glanced at the clock and realised that I had more time; now that I didn’t need to get a bus and could drive there will a full tank of fuel – courtesy of my lovely boyfriend.

                  I lingered in the kitchen doorway, watching my brother and mother. Jowan – like he did the day I died – was sat at the table, eating toast. My mom was digging around in the fridge this time though. She turned around when she heard me.

                  “You don’t want to wear yourself out, Marisol.”

                  “I’m not,” I replied happily, moving out of the way as Vincent slipping into the kitchen. He ruffled my brother’s hair – although Jowan was too old now to really have his hair ruffled – and took a piece of his toast. 

                  “You’ve been up since very early this morning,” my mother said, turning on a frying pan on the hob. “You need to eat breakfast.”

                  “I’m going to have a smoothie.”

                  “No,” she shook her head and opened the fridge again, retrieving some eggs. “You’ll have a proper breakfast. You too, Vincent. You’re all skin and bones.” 

                  Vincent chuckled, pouring two glasses of orange juice. “I’ll take that as a compliment. You’re so kind.”

                  “One egg or two?”

                  “I can’t have two, mom,” I said, joining the table. I took a sip of orange juice – it was bitter and made my face turn sour momentarily – my brother snorted, Vincent shook his head – I hadn’t long brushed my teeth. Orange juice was the worse thing to drink straight after brushing. I guess it was my own fault for not paying attention.

                  “Why not?”

                  “I’ll sink in the pool!”

                  “Come off it,” my mom said, chuckling at me. “Don’t be silly.” She cracked an egg with one hand and it began to sizzle in the fat. I wondered it Luke had taught her that trick – I certainly couldn’t crack an egg with one hand, it took a lot to master that trick. Still, I wasn’t going to ask her if it was Luke. I didn’t want to think about him. I didn’t want to mention him. He wasn’t worth our time – although he did look weary and sorry when he’d walked into his restaurant. I shouldn’t have gone in there – it was labeled Staff Only but when I saw him, I just had to. Even if I hadn’t, death would have found another way to get me in the night. 

                  My mom placed a plate down in front of my brother with scrambled eggs on. It was weird; my brother only ate scrambled eggs because he didn’t like them any other way. Only a minute later, my mother placed fried eggs and bread down in front of my boyfriend and I. Although I didn’t usually eat breakfast, I remember when we used to sit together and eat before going to school. When I learnt to drive, I’d tumble down later and shovel some cereal into my mouth before eventually, I didn’t eat breakfast at all because I’d preferred those few more minutes in bed instead.